Slow-cooker Sesame Beef and Broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Here is the sesame beef recipe that was requsted in Ring the dinner bell 9/22/2010.

Slow-cooker Sesame Beef and Broccoli
1 - 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak
1 lb button mushrooms (sliced or quartered)
1 medium onion peeled, halved, and thick-sliced
3/4 cup beef broth
3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil
2-3 cups broccoli florets
3 Tbsp corn starch
5 Tbsp water

Cube the beef into 1-inch pieces.

Combine the beef, mushrooms, broth, teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds, and sesame oil in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours

Note: Mine is an older crock pot and cooks at a lower temperature.

About 30 minutes before ready to serve, mix together the corn starch and water to make a slurry.

Mix the slurry and broccoli into the beef mixture, cover and continue to cook for another 30 minutes until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the sauce has thickened.

Server over rice.

Note: The amounts of beef/onion/broccoli are approximate. If you use more or less you may need to adjust the amount of broth or corn starch to make the slurry.

Sounds great Dave!
Did you use jarred teriyaki?If so which brand do you like.
The one I have tried was pretty salty but it may work in a dish rather than a dipping sauce.

Thanks.

I keep a bottle of the kikoman teriyaki sauce on hand so that is what I used.

Dave, have you ever tried tahini paste? I make a similar dish and just finish it with a blob of tahini paste. It really complements the beef. MMMMM! This recipe is getting saved, thanks!

Alix, I have tried it before "Mmm mmm good". Just not someting I keep on hand as a regular staple.

Hope you enjoy the recipe.

I find tahini doesn't keep well, so usually we only have it on hand if I'm making my killer steak/shrimp sauce. Still, if I have some left over and need to use it up...well, this recipe sounds good either way!

I find tahini doesn't keep well, so usually we only have it on hand if I'm making my killer steak/shrimp sauce. Still, if I have some left over and need to use it up...well, this recipe sounds good either way!

I have only used it for hummus.I will try it now in other things.TJ's tahini lasted over a month for me.

I have only used it for hummus.I will try it now in other things.TJ's tahini lasted over a month for me.

No TJ's here. I find the jars that are available to me are quite big (200g) and so I don't use all of it at one go. Try it on beef and shrimp...delish!

Dave, I just wanted to tell you that I made your recipe for dinner yesterday and we all gave it a thumbs up!

The only changes I made was to brown the beef in 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet before placing in the slow cooker. I also added a couple of cloves of garlic and one teaspoon chopped ginger. It turned out great ... the meat was so nice and tender.

Thank you for posting this recipe:chef:

You're welcome. I like those changes, I'll have to give them a try next time I make this (browning the meat and adding garlic).

I think I am going to try this chicken.The beef sounds great but I have a lot of chicken in the house.B/S thighs!

That should work well.I think dark meat works better in the slow cooker than white meat. You may want to check it sooner as I think it may cook faster then the beef version.

Back
Top Bottom