Slow roasted beef short ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I came across this recipe in an email from Bon Apetit. I don’t cook beef often. I don’t like it much, except for an occasional filet mignon or steak au poivre. Or a really good sloppy hamburger:yum:. This recipe for slow-roasted beef short ribs intrigued me though, mostly because of the unusual flavor profile.

The recipe calls for flanken style beef short ribs, but then in the directions say this:
Arrange short ribs, bone side up, in skillet; pour purée over. Roast until meat is halfway to tender and liquid is reduced by two-thirds (it will look slightly oily and broken, and this is exactly what you want), 3–3½ hours. Turn ribs onto their sides and continue to roast,

How does one determine which side is “bone side” on flanken style ribs? And how does one turn them on their side? All the flanken style ribs I’ve seen are flat, with exposed bone on each side (also usually pretty thin, as I’ve only seen them prepared for Korean bbq). I can’t imagine how I’d “turn them on their side.”

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I don't know but I don't think it matters, since the author also doesn't know that they're braising and not roasting. Cook them halfway on one side and halfway on the other side.

I think they call it slow roasted because there’s so little fluid and it’s done without a lid. That’s what the article that accompanied the recipe said, anyhow...

Thanks GG. I figured that, too.

Last time i made ribs I was in Japan, the ribs were separated then boiled in a broth with lots of Chinese stuff, then finished with a Chinese glaze in my toaster oven. They were great, very popular at my NYE party. Took forever to make!

The bone in the ribs are close to the surface on one side with most of the meat stacked on top of the rib. So their is a bone side and a flesh side.

What Andy said (as usual).

Depending on the butchery, there is a side where the bones stick out more, or are more visible.

Thank you both, BuckyTom and Andy. Still leaves “turning it on it’s side” a bit of an enigma...

What Andy and BT said..

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 438
  • 10120_cvr-sfs-grilled-beed-short-rib-mustard-glaze-clr-15.jpg
    10120_cvr-sfs-grilled-beed-short-rib-mustard-glaze-clr-15.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Fkanken style short ribs look like this.

It's cut across a number of ribs instead of English cut which is one whole rib per piece.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 357

It's cut across a number of ribs instead of English cut which is one whole rib per piece.

Ah, yes. That is what I am used to seeing as "flanken style" short ribs.

CD

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to upload picks of flanken style short ribs! As I said, I knew what they looked like, but only the thin-cut ones meant for korean bbq. It’s been very helpful to see the western version. Now I need to find somewhere to buy them! Don’t know if Smith’s meat counter can or will accommodate me...

I've never done "flanken-style" short ribs, but I do the regular type and it's a real treat when I do. I use the recipe from either Bon Appetit or Epicurious (it's exactly the same recipe, word for word). In this one they are braised in a rich red wine sauce for about 2-1/2 hours, and I get rave reviews when I serve them. They are every bit as good as any I've gotten in a classy restaurant. Short ribs recipe

I just wish that short ribs hadn't become so stupidly expensive. Like chicken wings, they used to be cheap, just sold at scrap meat prices, but then someone did them up fancy and suddenly they are a gourmet delight, with the price to go with it. I guess it goes with the price of beef in general though... I looked at a package of stew meat the other day.... it was about $5 for 9 ounces... of stew meat for Pete's sake!

The only time I do short ribs any more is when we buy beef on the hoof. We generally share a side of beef with my wife's brother, and he doesn't want to mess with the short ribs, so I get all of them, then invite them over for dinner... I'm making them in a couple of weeks.... good winter treat when I don't mind having the oven on for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom