Slow-roasting London broil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonathanL883

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I attempted my first London Broil. I had intended to marinade it overnight but my weekend plans interfered and I ended up it marinating in some cheap beer for a couple of hours. I then rubbed salt and pepper on it and roasted it for an hour and twenty minutes at 225 degrees.

Despite the low temperature it cooked very quickly and came out medium instead of medium rare as I had intended. Accordingly, the meat came out extremely tough and not particularly appetizing.

Did I just overcook the meat or were there other reasons why I had such a poor outcome?

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan.

Did your meat look like the cooked or uncooked photo? How you slice the meat makes a big difference in tenderness.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 3,076
  • zimages.jpg
    zimages.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,111
My raw meat looked pretty similar to your photo, but the finished product was barely pink in the thickest part of the cut.

If you sliced across the grain with your knife at a 45º angle from the vertical, that's not the problem. I think it was overcooked. Rare to medium rare is better for a flank steak.

Over cooked. 130 degrees tops, cover and let rest 15-20 mintues. Then slice very thin. It's a tough cut of beef and the longer you cook it the tougher it gets. I bbq to 125 dregrees (rare) then rest.
Also I would not bake it low and slow. BBQ or broil next time

Last edited:
Over cooked. 130 degrees tops, cover and let rest 15-20 mintues. Then slice very thin. It's a tough cut of beef and the longer you cook it the tougher it gets. I bbq to 125 dregrees (rare) then rest.
Also I would not bake it low and slow. BBQ or broil next time

I definitely overcooked it if medium rare is 130 degrees. When I checked the temperature immediately after pulling it out of the oven the thickest part of the meat read 180 degrees.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom