Small Ribeye roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galapogos

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm gonna be roasting a 1kg(2.2lb) of boneless beef ribeye tomorrow, and I've never done it before. I usually broil my own steaks, so I do sorta know my way around the kitchen, but this one's a bit different. I tried googling for recipes for ribeye roasts, but they are often 4-6lbs or even larger, so I'm not sure the timing would be correct.

I don't have a cooking thermometer so I will have to go by time and temperature/setting. I have an oven that allows me to change the temperature(obviously), as well as the heating element(top, bottom, both), as well as circulation(I can turn on an internal fan to keep the air moving).

I intend to rub some herbs into the beef surface(black peppers, basil, paprika, garlic, salt-free all purpose seasoning, anything else I can find), maybe some soya sauce and wine, and let it sit in the fridge overnight, and just put it in a pre-heated oven. Problem is I'm not sure what settings, how hot, how long, and whether I should wrap it in a foil? Does anyone have any idea for a 1kg ribeye? I'm thinking of medium-rare to medium, and from the recipes I've seen online it seems like 300-350F for about an hour should be ok?

TIA!

buy a probe thermometer, why don't you have one?? you have an oven right? you have the rest of the tools. why don't you have a probe thermometer. ?

The time tables are only rough guides. you can never really temp a piece of meat with time only. the only true way to tell is with a probe thermometer.

Never had a use for it until now. Been timing my meats and they've always turned out fine as long as I know how large/what type of meat. I've never tried such as big chunk before though, and this will likely be a very infrequent thing so might not be worth getting a probe just to use it once every few years.

Anyway, what about the rest of my questions?

Kitch is right on with her advice. As for seasoning, all you need to do is insert a few slivers of garlic into the meat (cut a slit in the meat with your knife and push the it in with your finger), and sprinkle the outside with a little salt and a good amount of coarse ground pepper on the outside. Save the extras for a cheaper cut of meat...you don't want to mask the excellent flavor of your rib eye roast.

Hi,

I'm gonna be roasting a 1kg(2.2lb) of boneless beef ribeye tomorrow, and I've never done it before. I usually broil my own steaks, so I do sorta know my way around the kitchen, but this one's a bit different. I tried googling for recipes for ribeye roasts, but they are often 4-6lbs or even larger, so I'm not sure the timing would be correct.

I don't have a cooking thermometer so I will have to go by time and temperature/setting. I have an oven that allows me to change the temperature(obviously), as well as the heating element(top, bottom, both), as well as circulation(I can turn on an internal fan to keep the air moving).

I intend to rub some herbs into the beef surface(black peppers, basil, paprika, garlic, salt-free all purpose seasoning, anything else I can find), maybe some soya sauce and wine, and let it sit in the fridge overnight, and just put it in a pre-heated oven. Problem is I'm not sure what settings, how hot, how long, and whether I should wrap it in a foil? Does anyone have any idea for a 1kg ribeye? I'm thinking of medium-rare to medium, and from the recipes I've seen online it seems like 300-350F for about an hour should be ok?

TIA!

Since it is small, can you slice it in half or thirds & prepare on the stovetop - like Steak Diane & make oven-roasted potatoes? (I have a recipe for same, with sage-roasted fingerlings. If your interested, let me know - or there are several on the web.)

I probably would not marinate overnight. This recipe is for a larger roast, but the seasonings/rub & method might appeal to you.

Ribeye Roast & Oven-Browned Vegetables

Here is a Time Chart & different cooking methods, I hope will help.

Cookery Beef Time Chart

Last edited:
Thanks guys but the advice came a little late. I marinated it yesterday(different time zone) with the following ingredients
- ground pepper
- salt free all purpose seasoning
- ground basil
- ~4-5 tbsp of olive oil
- some soya sauce
I guess I'll put some garlic into the meat later before I cook...which will be less than an hour from now. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom