Soaking Burgers in Worchestershire Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scheda

Assistant Cook
So today I thought I'd try to soak some ground beef in some Worchestershire Sauce. I don't know how well it will turn out. But I thought I'd try it anyway. Has anyone here done this before? If so what did you think of it?

I am like Sizz. I don't soak then put I do always put a tablespoon or two into my mix. I think it adds a great flavor and a little moisture.

I think soaking would give you an overpowering flavor. Try a spoonful or two and adjust the amount from there.

Here's my plan after Andy's comment. I think I'm going to leave the ones soaking that are now, they've been soaking since I posted this. I'll also cook some with just the tad bit of the sauce like all of you reccomended. I think that way I'll actually know and what'll happen other than maybe just a bad taste ;)

Nothing wrong with that......thats the best part of cooking is the experimenting. Let us know what you discover.

James Beard has a fantastic cheeseburger recipe that calls for worchestershire shaush.

burger meat
2 T worchesty shaush
3/4 C grated sharp cheddar
2 minced cloves garlic
1 tsp tabasco
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp salt

Mix all together. Cook, eat. This always blows everyone away when they try em. It is an example of mixing in the sauce with the meat as opposed to soaking the pre-formed patties. Good luck!

As a native British person, I've never considered using Worcester sauce (as we call it!) as a marinade, but only as an ingredient for a marinade. It is so strong, and soaking food in it would appear to be too harsh...

Well you could soak those burgers though with the sauce and then mix those burgers with some non soaked meat to lessen the Worchestershire Sauce flavor.

Have a cooking buddy who marinates his steaks. He does that way when he caters. Not a lot different than marinating in soy sauce.

Then there is Dale's seasoning, and Allegro marinade which are what we call glorified worchestershire sauce or soy sauce.
foodlocker_1859_21760113

http://www.allegromarinade.com/original.html

Ishbel said:
As a native British person, I've never considered using Worcester sauce (as we call it!) as a marinade, but only as an ingredient for a marinade. It is so strong, and soaking food in it would appear to be too harsh...

I am with you on that one Ishbel. I am wondering if the sauces are different in the US and other places? Ishbel, what brands do you have in the UK? We have Lea & Perrins here in Canada, we have other generic brands too, but that is the primary one. And WHOO! It is pretty potent stuff!

I think they are probably pretty close to the same as what you have Alix. One of (if not the) main brands we have here is Lea and Perrins. I think most people here would agree with you guys that it would just be an ingredient in a marinade and not usually the marinade itself. But that is not to say that some people won't use it that way too of course.

Back
Top Bottom