"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My dad was just the opposite. He was in the army WWII. He liked SOS. and it was something mom couldn't screw up. Too much. The cream sauce was often lumpy. Served on toast or mash potatoes. The cream sauce thread recent, had me thinking about making this again. It's been awhile. I buy the kind in a jar. Also, tried the frozen Stouffers once. not very good.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

It's always had such a bad reputation (mostly from M*A*S*H for me) that I've never made it. Don't think my mom ever did, either. Her dad had a disability and didn't serve in WWII.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We always called it chipped beef on toast. I didn't learn the other name for it until I was a teenager (still call it chipped beef on toast). My mom always added chopped hard boiled eggs to hers. We probably had it at least three or four times a year. It was quick to make, and it was comfort food. My mom could have made shoe leather taste good though.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My dad was just the opposite. He was in the army WWII. He liked SOS. and it was something mom couldn't screw up. Too much. The cream sauce was often lumpy. Served on toast or mash potatoes. The cream sauce thread recent, had me thinking about making this again. It's been awhile. I buy the kind in a jar. Also, tried the frozen Stouffers once. not very good.
Everything I have ever tried of Stouffers, left a lot to be desired. It's a good thing I always buy the single serving.

Sometimes even if I don't have any chipped beef, I will hard boil an egg and add it to the white sauce, on toast. It is the white sauce that gives it flavor. I could eat a pan of white sauce as if it were soup.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Master Chef

My Mother and Grandmother made many imaginative dishes using white sauce to stretch a small amount of food.

Things like hot dog coins, sausage, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, salted cod, etc...

Usually served with potatoes and a pan of biscuits.

As others have said it was comfort food plain and simple.

I still make some of those concoctions in the winter when a blizzard is raging outside my window.

I actually look forward to it a couple of times each year!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Mother and Grandmother made many imaginative dishes using white sauce to stretch a small amount of food.

Things like hot dog coins, sausage, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, salted cod, etc...

Usually served with potatoes and a pan of biscuits.

As others have said it was comfort food plain and simple.

I still make some of those concoctions in the winter when a blizzard is raging outside my window.

I actually look forward to it a couple of times each year!
Amen! My mom could stretch food with the best of them! I learned that from her and stretch a lot of things with tomatoes, white sauce, etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My ex made some abomination with dried beef and canned tomato soup that was so salty it was inedible but she loved it.
With a recipe review like that she would have been my ex too!

Mom made it with (Armour's) dried beef (rinsed), white sauce with a goodly amount of pepper, hard-boiled eggs, all served over toast. She'd get all fancy and put slices of eggs on top of our servings but to Dad it was still SOS. Lots of times she'd make a Chipped Beef Pot Pie with the dried beef. Same stuff, different look. Just so long as Dad had mashed potatoes to put it over he was good with it.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We always called it chipped beef on toast. I didn't learn the other name for it until I was a teenager (still call it chipped beef on toast.
same here. is the stuff in a jar chipped or shredded? or is it more like ground. i would imagine there's a textural difference, albeit small.

my mom usually made it with leftover pot roast, especially if she overcooked the roast and/or it was too lean and should have been made into a roast beef.

she fork shredded the leftovers, made a brown gravy, then served it over toast. but only when my dad was working the late shift and took something else for dinner to work. after 3 years overseas in ww-2, he wouldn't touch the stuff.

sometimes mom mixed chunks of boiled potatoes into it and even chopped pickles to help stretch it out.

the pickles and potatoes were an idea taken from her norwegian dish called lob scaus that i've mentioned before.

no matter what, though, it was always served on toast or else it wouldn't be "on a shingle".
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My dad was just the opposite. He was in the army WWII. He liked SOS.
Same with my dad. To him, I think it was like some kind of soldier comfort food.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Dad would ask for it and us kids would chime in our request, too. Shrek likes it, so I get to have it as often as I would like.

Tags
None