"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm going for it!!! 125F... I don't really want rare or "blood rare" but the 134F was just a bit too done for me to reach steak nirvana. I decided to calibrate at 125F and then go from there.

It seems very odd to cook a steak at such a low temperature but we're not really cooking per se, we're denaturing the proteins, and if 125F will do it then it'll do it and that's a scientific fact. Then we give the outside a quick sear for appearance, and to burn a bit of that fat to give it more flavor.

So I'll report back later how my 125F MRR sous vide steak came out.
Let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Well at 125F for (I dunno) maybe couple hours, there were parts of the steak that were overcooked to my taste, and no part of the steak was undercooked. I'm headed for 120F next time, unless GF is over and then I'll nudge it to 130F and not tell her.

Actually I can keep nudging the steaks down and then if GF complains "it's too rare" I can just throw it on the grill pan for a minute or two more sear.

I think at some point we need to declare sous vide technology as a secret, in order to claim that we cook really great steaks and not let anybody know that the cooking method is almost as simple as "boil in bag," and in fact it IS boil in bag, except that we're not boiling of course...

I have a tri-tip roast already vacuum sealed that I'll cook some time soon. It was purchased on sale price, I sealed and froze it, and now I can cook it anytime. I haven't looked up the recipe yet but I think it will take more than an hour...

This technique works really great on products such as the Trader Joe's rib eye steaks already sealed in cryovac bags. Yeah you have no opportunity to season them, but there's no vacuum sealer bag cost and you can just go directly shelf to sous vide with absolutely no effort!

Next time I'm going 120F!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

Do you add seasoning before the sear?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Do you add seasoning before the sear?
My original concept was buying cryo-vac products (like at Trader Joe's) and direct to sous vide. I've already proved to my satisfaction that this technique works, and works well.

So the question, do you mean before the vacuum sealing, or after steak done and just before sear. (Before vacuum would be ideal.)

So tonight I'm doing my steak at 120F. In fact it's already been an hour. I'll improvise some seasoning, perhaps an herbed butter, and saute that in my griller pan, and then I'll report back.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
(Before vacuum would be ideal.)
OK, that sort of answers my question. Then would you also pre-season something you intend to keep vacuum sealed for some length of time or would seasoning before searing (after sous vide) be ideal in this instance?
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #16
Head Chef

Sous vide works great for steak! If you want to do 120 you certainly can, just keep the cook time relatively short (1 hour or so). If you do so you shouldn't have safety issues. You can make it even safer if you do a reverse sear; this means sear the steak first in a screaming hot pan or on a smoking hot grill, then sous vide it.

I bought two SVS machines, the Supreme and a Demi. This way I can cook larger batches or two different items.

Chicken is sublime when cooked sous vide! I'm a chef by trade, and I've long considered chicken breasts to be pretty bland and overall the most boring part of the bird. But if you cook them for 4 hours at 140 F, then sear, you'll have amazingly good chicken! This maximizes flavor and keeps them very moist. The dark meat tastes metallic if you don't cook it at 148 F or a little higher but at that temp it comes out great as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
OK, that sort of answers my question. Then would you also pre-season something you intend to keep vacuum sealed for some length of time or would seasoning before searing (after sous vide) be ideal in this instance?
Thanks!
If you pre-season with salt it will draw moisture out, drying out the meat. At least if you keep it sealed for long periods of time. I have a chamber vacuum sealer at home, and when I prepare stuff this way I usually season right before the final sear. It's kind of a trade off.

Tags
steak