"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
Executive Chef

So far...two tuna casserole dinners frozen up and two lamb curry dinners frozen up. They microwave well. Next up, spaghetti and meat sauce portions into Tupperware. I'll probably follow the advice to under cook the spaghetti and add it in to the meat sauce at the end of cooking, then flash freeze it. Thanks also for the tip about keeping sauce around the outside so the pasta doesn't get freezer burn.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I freeze my leftover spaghetti mixed with meat sauce all the time, in ziplock freezer bags. No special treatment, my spaghetti is al dente and not cooked with oil in the water. Nukes up just fine.
+1.... Been doing this for many years... I usually reheat in a pan on the stove top..

Ross

Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I'm going to cook up the sauce and add undercooked pasta near the end. Then freeze it into portions. Thanks for the tips, especially about not adding oil to boiling pasta. Use a bigger pot than a 4 qt. sauce pan to boil pasta. Noted.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I am faced with the dilemma of "can I freeze it or not", I try to remember if I can buy it frozen at the store already.
True. Stoffers (?). Their frozen tuna casserole is to be avoided. That's why I cook up my own tuna casserole and freeze it. Lots of mushrooms.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I am faced with the dilemma of "can I freeze it or not", I try to remember if I can buy it frozen at the store already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
True. Stoffers (?). Their frozen tuna casserole is to be avoided. That's why I cook up my own tuna casserole and freeze it. Lots of mushrooms.
Frozen food companies have special equipment that allows them to freeze food much more quickly and to a specific temperature than home equipment can, which minimizes the crystal development that causes freezer burn. Not everything you see in the freezer case can be as successfully frozen at home.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Frozen food companies have special equipment that allows them to freeze food much more quickly and to a specific temperature than home equipment can, which minimizes the crystal development that causes freezer burn. Not everything you see in the freezer case can be as successfully frozen at home.
I quick froze cut up green onions tonight. I spread them around on a 9" aluminum foil pan. That's as far as quick freezing goes.

It works OK. For diced chives too.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I quick froze cut up green onions tonight. I spread them around on a 9" aluminum foil pan. That's as far as quick freezing goes.

Sure, lots of things freeze well at home. I'm just saying not everything freezes as well as commercial food processors can do.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quick Freezing is you spread out your cut up green onions, chives or whatever onto a flat pan and place it into the freezer. They freeze faster than bunching them all together in a bag.

The big companies have better freezing capabilities, of course. Stouffer's frozen "Tuna Casserole" is awful. My home made is so much better.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:

That's how I freeze my surplus peppers during growing season. I freeze them first on a sheet pan, and then vacuum seal the frozen peppers and put them back in the freezer.

Obviously, they are not the same firmness as fresh when thawed, but for cooking, they have the flavor of fresh peppers.

CD
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Executive Chef

It probably goes without saying, but make sure your food is thoroughly cool in the fridge before you freeze it.

CD

Tags
free, meat, sauce, spaghetti