Spicy Mac and Cheese Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
Back to comfort food, given the resounding success of my tuna casserole post, I wanted to post something that does not involve any canned tuna, in any way...

Mac and Cheese Stew

1 pound ground beef
1 onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic diced
4 cups beef broth
1 10 oz can Ro-tel tomatoes drained
1 16 oz can beans (your choice) undrained (though I half drain them if I'm using black beans, I just feel like black beans canned seem wet)
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp canola or olive oil
7.5 oz macaroni pasta
1/2 cup green chille sauce or salsa verde
12 oz velveeta cheese cubed
if you have it, fresh cillantro diced fine to taste or chives the same to garnish.

So we start this by prepping the meat, I start this in a pan, with the oil and sautee the garlic and onions for a bit, until the onions are soft but not yet clear, add the beef and brown thoroughly, drain the fat from this, and transfer to a pot.

Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, spices, and bring to a boil doesn't have to be rolling, just a near boil.

Add the pasta, and simmer 6-8 minutes until pasta is al dente.

Add the chille sauce or salsa at this point, and then gradually add the cheese stirring until it is all melted in. When it is all put together, let it simmer for a couple of minutes, pull off the heat, and let it set up for about five.

The cillantro or chives are a garnish on top (though I like cillantro, and I will sometimes cut up some extra and just mix it in the dish entire, a good option if you are going to have extra portions to save)

If you like spicy, a couple teaspoons of cayenne or your favorite hot sauce, I doubt would ruin this recipe.

This dish also freezes quite well.

Cheers!

TBS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom