"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Sous Chef

The home we go to every St Patrick's day has all the usual fixings with fresh horseradish as a condiment and the most delicious shoe string beet salad

Old 03-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Master Chef

Leave it to buckytom to keep me honest .... and catch my every faux pas.

Yep - my tradition is firmly rooted in the Irish-American tradition. It is more akin to a "New England boiled dinner" than to the true Irish bacon and cabbage with a side of potatoes - no carrots or onions in the old recipes I found.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i used to watch a lot of magnum p.i., so i know all of your tricks tom, er, i mean michael...

actually michaeltom-seleck (lol, your new nickname), you are so well informed, so accurate in your descriptions that when you make a rare misrepresentation, it's easy to spot.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
Head Chef

Vicki, what's a shoe string beet salad? It sounds good.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Ronjohn- our very Irish monsignor declares absolution when St Patty's day falls on Ash Wed or Fridays during lent-:)
Ahh, but without me Guiness (ok, ok, beer in general!), it wouldn't be the same!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

RonJohn - I think the special dispensation for St. Patrick's Day includes Irish beers and Irish whiskey. Well, it will if your priest is Irish!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

Forrrrrr muh house, McRrrrearrry, (ain't that one o' dem Irish types what tries to mess wit me pal Bugs Bunny?) it's a pot 'o the Corned beef that's been-a stewin' all the long day. Then, when I gets home from a back-breakin' day of splittin' rocks in the mine, with muh baaaare hands, I takes the spuds, peels 'em, and adds 'em to the stew with some of them bright orange carrots, chopped up into lovely chunks, and some good yeller onion slices. And to make it special, ya got ta add some good rutabegga, don'tcha know? Then, as a last touch, ya season it with a bit-o the black pepper. If'n yer brave, like them boys that think they can beat me at a game of 301, ya might add a half cup of celery root for a taste that's as lovely as a young lassie playin' in a field of shamrocks.

Now I do have some of the old country runnin' through me veins, along vit der Doiche. Throw in some Ojibwa, Cheroke, and French, and is a true yoopoer besides, well, you get the idea. Maybe that's why I love food from so many places in the world.

Oh, and just so you don't contact my employer, I'm a telecom type with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology, who's never set foot in a mine in his life.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I think it's catholic law that there be at least one Irish priest per Parish here in the states!!!:)I admire you're devotion of faith John. I used to give up things for lent the last being many years ago when it was coffee that I gave up and my addiciton to caffiene was so strong the rest of my family offered their souls to God at that moment just for me to have one cup- I guess I was a little difficult to live with ;).Now I just volunteer more for things I wouldn't usually do during lent.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Ahhh Goodweed - you just made me laugh and wish I was just a tineey bit Irish so I maybe wearing a spot of green on St Patty's.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Vicki, what's a shoe string beet salad? It sounds good.
Hi Callie Shoe string beet salad is beets in a vinegarette type of dressing serve chilled. When I speak to my friend I will ask her the exact recipe-if she has one!!!

Tags
None