"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #41
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree with someone (I'm not scrolling up right now to find out who!) about tradition. Mine may not be traditional Irish, but it is my family's tradition, and it is so good, why tamper with it? I boil it (well, I bring it to a boil, then simmer) with whole potatoes (peeled), whole carrots, cabbage (not whole, but quartered! lol), whole onions, and the spice pack that comes with it. It is served with lots of real butter. When I first moved to South Carolina I had a terrible time finding a store that even sold corned beef. Most of them looked at me like I was nuts, and one pointed me to the deli counter, where they sliced it for sandwiches. I moved about 60 miles north-west and now have no problem finding it.

Barbara

Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #42
Master Chef

I am mostly German, but I have Scots/Irish from my Grandpa White. I don't remember anyone in my family ever fixing corned beef and cabbage, though.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #43
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I am mostly German, but I have Scots/Irish from my Grandpa White. I don't remember anyone in my family ever fixing corned beef and cabbage, though.
I'm half Swedish and half German--I'm only Irish on St. Patrick's Day! I have to have my corned beef and cabbage then (plus I get at least a couple extras for other times of the year, when it isn't as cheap!).

Barbara

Tags
None