St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurora

Senior Cook
With St. Patrick's Day fast approaching I thought that I would ask for some new ideas on preparing the traditional corned beef dinner.

I usually boil (pressure cook actually) the corned beef and serve it with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Compliment with vinegar, butter and mustard at the table. It's a wonder such simple fare can be so delicious and satisfying.

Anyone do things differently? I'm sure that there are many other traditions and traditional meals for St. Paddy's Day.

hopefully i'll be going up to my local pub after work.
their irish fare includes: imported smoked salmon on toast points with herb whipped sour cream; shepards pie; lamb stew; imported bangers and mash; an irish burger (10 oz. burger - well done, topped with irish bacon - like a back bacon, sauteed onions, and irish cheddar); soda, brown, and batch breads; irish style boiled bacon, cabbage and spuds, or american style corned beef; chips - fries with malt vinegar; and various other specials that usually include lamb, pork, and butter and cream sauces.
and the guinness, harp, smithwick's, and magner's will flow like the foyle...

Since it's on a Friday this year, there will be no corned beef or beer for me on St. Patrick's day this year (So Bucky, you'll need to drink my share, too). We'll likely do something with fish, and have the corned beef on the 16th or 18th.

John

That sounds like a feast, Bucky.
I cook my corned beef in the crockpot with the contents of the seasoning packet that comes with it and a beer. Once it's done, I remove the meat, and cook cabbage and new potatoes in the juice. HB will eat the corned beef, but not the cabbage.

When it comes to traditional meals for St. Paddy's Day, or anything else - why would I want to muck up traditional with some nouveau made up stuff? To me - it's a time to celebrate a link to my ancestors - not try to come up with new recipes to replace theirs. To me, that takes the tradition out of traditional.

I'll have boiled corned beef, onions, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage - and a loaf of soda bread.

RonJohn - I think there is a special dispensation for St. Patrick's Day if your Irish. :rolleyes:

We do the traditional boil with the exception of using brussel sprouts in place of cabbage. SO likes cabbage and I do not. I have to put in some turnip for her as well.

brussels sprouts! What a great idea! We love both cabbage and sprouts but I think the brussels would look better.

michael, are you going for traditional irish, or traditional irish american?
the celebration of st. pat's has been going on in america long enough to be considered to have it's own traditions, such as parades, partying, and corned beef. in ireland years ago, it was merely a day for church and a small family dinner. today, ireland has taken on more american ways and now it's the same big dealio.
boiled corned beef, with cabbage and potatoes is traditional irish american.
boiled bacon, whick is more like a ham, with 2 boiled vegetables, usually root veggies like the carrots and cabbage that you've mentioned with boiled potatoes is traditional irish.

Ronjohn- our very Irish monsignor declares absolution when St Patty's day falls on Ash Wed or Fridays during lent-:)

The home we go to every St Patrick's day has all the usual fixings with fresh horseradish as a condiment and the most delicious shoe string beet salad

Leave it to buckytom to keep me honest .... and catch my every faux pas.

Yep - my tradition is firmly rooted in the Irish-American tradition. It is more akin to a "New England boiled dinner" than to the true Irish bacon and cabbage with a side of potatoes - no carrots or onions in the old recipes I found.

i used to watch a lot of magnum p.i., so i know all of your tricks tom, er, i mean michael... :)

actually michaeltom-seleck (lol, your new nickname), you are so well informed, so accurate in your descriptions that when you make a rare misrepresentation, it's easy to spot.

Last edited:
VickiQ said:
Ronjohn- our very Irish monsignor declares absolution when St Patty's day falls on Ash Wed or Fridays during lent-:)

Ahh, but without me Guiness (ok, ok, beer in general!), it wouldn't be the same!

John

RonJohn - I think the special dispensation for St. Patrick's Day includes Irish beers and Irish whiskey. Well, it will if your priest is Irish! :)

Forrrrrr muh house, McRrrrearrry, (ain't that one o' dem Irish types what tries to mess wit me pal Bugs Bunny?) it's a pot 'o the Corned beef that's been-a stewin' all the long day. Then, when I gets home from a back-breakin' day of splittin' rocks in the mine, with muh baaaare hands, I takes the spuds, peels 'em, and adds 'em to the stew with some of them bright orange carrots, chopped up into lovely chunks, and some good yeller onion slices. And to make it special, ya got ta add some good rutabegga, don'tcha know? Then, as a last touch, ya season it with a bit-o the black pepper. If'n yer brave, like them boys that think they can beat me at a game of 301, ya might add a half cup of celery root for a taste that's as lovely as a young lassie playin' in a field of shamrocks.

Now I do have some of the old country runnin' through me veins, along vit der Doiche. Throw in some Ojibwa, Cheroke, and French, and is a true yoopoer besides, well, you get the idea. Maybe that's why I love food from so many places in the world.:mrgreen:

Oh, and just so you don't contact my employer, I'm a telecom type with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology, who's never set foot in a mine in his life.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think it's catholic law that there be at least one Irish priest per Parish here in the states!!!:)I admire you're devotion of faith John. I used to give up things for lent the last being many years ago when it was coffee that I gave up and my addiciton to caffiene was so strong the rest of my family offered their souls to God at that moment just for me to have one cup- I guess I was a little difficult to live with ;).Now I just volunteer more for things I wouldn't usually do during lent.

Ahhh Goodweed - you just made me laugh and wish I was just a tineey bit Irish so I maybe wearing a spot of green on St Patty's.

callie said:
Vicki, what's a shoe string beet salad? It sounds good.
Hi Callie:chef: Shoe string beet salad is beets in a vinegarette type of dressing serve chilled. When I speak to my friend I will ask her the exact recipe-if she has one!!!

Back
Top Bottom