St. Patty's Day fare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
I love St. Patrick's Day. I look forward to the boiled corned beef and veggies. I love the stuff.

When I mentioned it this year the eyes kinda glazed over. The only enthusiast for the menu was yours truly.

Not wishing to force feed food that some find ho-hum, I would like to jazz it up a bit.

I will not forego the corned beef (St. Patty would never forgive me, or maybe he would. But corned beef is going to be there come heck or high water.)

Would really apppreciate any ideas how to make a non-traditional (read that as traditional as I can get away with) St. Patrick's Day menu sing.

Thanks y'all.

Would they go for Corned Beef Hash Browns? I made it a few weeks ago and then Cuisine at Home came out with a wonderful recipe.

Some years I go with the corned beef and cabbage or lamb stew and soda bread - but some years I do a "green" theme. Everything I fix is shamrock green. Usually stuffed bell peppers with various green sides...I've even colored my mashed potatoes green.

I'm going to make my "traditional" corned beef and cabbage recipe but I'm going to try to prepare it in the crock-pot this time. We'll have mashed real potatoes and N.Y. Times bread. Not sure what we'll have for dessert. There's still time to figure that out.

Here's my corned beef recipe if anyone's interested:

KATIE’S CORNED BEEF
AND CABBAGE
(Serves 6 to 8)

1 (4 to 5 lb.) corned beef brisket, flat cut
1 medium clove garlic
1 medium yellow onion, cut in half
2 whole cloves
10 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. mustard seed
½ tsp. dried rosemary
1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Wipe corned beef with damp paper towels. Place in a large heavy kettle or Dutch oven; cover with cold water. Add remaining ingredients except cabbage and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Skim. Cover; continue to simmer 3 to 4 hours, or until fork-tender. Add cabbage and tomatoes the last 15 minutes of simmering time. Stir occasionally to separate the cabbage leaves. Remove the corned beef and cabbage from the liquid. Slice the beef and arrange on a platter with cabbage. Defat the liquid and serve on the side. Note: If you wish, you can also add the seasoning from the packet that comes with the meat along with the ones listed above.

Some of the brewsky's here serve green beer to celebrate the day--I guess they use food coloring or a potent penicillin strain of something or the other. Given the prices and what a shot costs in the office I'd say it's food coloring.

I don't change tradition, its just me, I do mine in a crock pot or electric fry pan, depends on my mood ! Love it ! Sorry I only fix it once a year too !

Not to sound ignorant but just what is "corned beef"---I guess I could go and Google this question and get all kinds of "scientific" answers but I'd really like to know what you DC readers have to say about it. If this question belongs on another thread please zap it there--is this a traditional Irish dish? Your menu sounds delish, by the way, Katie E!

Wow, thanks folks.

I was thinking about sliced corned beef on pumpernickel with some very, non-Irish, sauerkraut, and some cheese on top. Would then heat the sandwich in the oven or nuker until the cheese melted.

A bit of Russian dressing on top and served with a very kosher pickle and some cole slaw.

Oops, sorry, that is my love for kosher deli coming through.

This definitely has to be an Erin Go Braugh menu. And I know I cannot convince my folks that a Reuben is Irish.

Sigh, sigh, and triple sigh.

Thanks to you all. Gotta think about this some more.

auntdot, you could roast your corned beef, after boiling with spices, with a glaze or mustard topping for a change of pace.

you must still have boiled cabbage and 2 veg, though.

and if you're game, try sharp cheddar on rustic wheat crackers, with raw onions and spicy brown mustard as an appetizer.

expatgirl, corned beef, or rather a beef brisket with pickling spices, are boiled in a large pot with cabbage and potatoes. it is a traditional irish-american dish, attempting to recreate a common irish national dish of boiled "bacon", which is more like a ham (don't ask. lots of confusion with cuts and preperations of pork, and their associated names around the world), and the same veggies.

expatgirl said:
Not to sound ignorant but just what is "corned beef"---I guess I could go and Google this question and get all kinds of "scientific" answers but I'd really like to know what you DC readers have to say about it. If this question belongs on another thread please zap it there--is this a traditional Irish dish? Your menu sounds delish, by the way, Katie E!

"Corned Beef" is a beef brisket that is salt cured (that's the "corn" from the Olde English term for grain ... which ment grains of something, like grains of salt or sand- not limited to what we think of as cereal grains such as wheat, oats, etc.) and sometimes spices.

I agree with BuckyTom ... from what I have been able to find in researching ... what American's consider to be the "traditional" St. Paddy's day feast is really a "New England Boiled Dinner" consisting of boiled corned beef, onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Roast lamb with potatoes, onions, carrots and cabbage, or a lamb stew - or a boiled piece of pork (similar to Canadian Bacon) with similar vegetables - or even Colcannon ... any of these served with a heavy and hearty soda bread, with butter, seems to be much more "authentic".

When our Irish ancestors came to America, they had to make do with what they could find ... corned beef was more available than good lamb ... so the tradition shifted from the traditional in the old country to what was available in the new country.

I'll probably stick with tradition and continue to perpetuate the "Irish-American" myth of corned beef with onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage - and a hearty loaf of soda bread.

katie, here's a wonderful cheesecake -

CHOCOLATE-GLAZED IRISH CREAM CHEESECAKE
Recipe By :2003 APPRENTICESHIP DINNER

CRUST:
6 each graham crackers
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

FILLING:
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temp
7 Tbsps sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
6 Tbsps Irish cream liqueur
6 Tbsps sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

GLAZE:
1/2 cup whipping cream
9 ozs good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
GARNISH:
1 oz white chocolate curls (estimated qty)
raspberries for garnish (~2-3)
sprig mint for garnish

CRUST:
1. Oven to 350°
2. Finely grind graham cracker; add butter & blend till combined.
3. Press crust mixture into bottom (NOT SIDES) of a 9" springform pan.
4. Bake crust till golden brown, ~8 min.

FILLING:
1. Using an elect. mixer, beat cream cheese & sugar till smooth. Add flour, then the eggs, one at a time, beating till just combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Pour filling into the pan & bake for 10 min. at 350°.
4. Reduce oven temp. to 250° and continue baking till set, ~40 min. longer.
5. Cool. Cover & chill in refrigerator overnight.

GLAZE:
1. Bring cream to a simmer; remove from heat & add chopped chocolate.
2. Stir till melted.
3. Cool till glaze is lukewarm.

COMPLETING:
1. Once cheesecake is chilled, remove the sides of the springform pan & place the cake on a rack set over a b. sheet.
2. Pour glaze over the cheesecake, spreading w/offset spatula to cover top and sides; allow excess to drip onto the sheet.
3. Let glaze set before serving.

GARNISH:
Place slice of cheesecake back of plate, top w/white chocolate curls. On either side, place 3 berries and a mint sprig.

Cornbeef

I'm trying the cornbeef recipe with apple juice instead of the beer and cooks for 12 hours in the slow cooker will see how this turns out.

Have a great day !!!!:rolleyes:

I also love corned beef and am serving that. It is delishious and so tender when cooked right. What could be better than fresh green cabbage and beautiful potatoes? Do them proudly with fresh Irish butter and chopped herbs (parsley and a little thyme or marjoram). Certainly cook them in the pot with the broth for flavor, but run them under the broiler or in a sautee pan for a finsih with the butter and sprinkle herbs at the end. Take it further with organic carrots still with their stems, and if you like them young turnips, tender and zippy! Have a horseraddish sauce and other accoutrements (dish of sel gris for example, and put the whole bounty on a great platter.) Serve a great stout or porter with the meal and maybe some Irish soda bread. If someone really cannot stomach corned beef, have a few sausages available. There are all kinds for every taste, even vegan ones! But this simple meal can be made extraordinary! Celebrate!

Well, since I absolutely hate, hate, HATE boiled cabbage, I NEVER make it that way. Instead I roughly shred/chop it & saute it in an obscene amount of butter, along with some salt & freshly ground black pepper, until it's just crisp/tender. Absolutely delicious - even with leftovers the next day.

And for those who don't eat corned beef - like my husband - I make turkey kielbasa which I serve with the same sides (the sauteed cabbage, buttered carrots, turnips, & potatoes, plus the usual condiments of good mustard & horseradish).

I'll be working out of town on St. Patties day, so I'll be eating whatever "Irish" meal that the Portugese restraunt down the street from the hotel is serving that night;) :LOL:

cjs said:
katie, here's a wonderful cheesecake -

CHOCOLATE-GLAZED IRISH CREAM CHEESECAKE
Recipe By :2003 APPRENTICESHIP DINNER

CRUST:
6 each graham crackers
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

FILLING:
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temp
7 Tbsps sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
6 Tbsps Irish cream liqueur
6 Tbsps sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

GLAZE:
1/2 cup whipping cream
9 ozs good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
GARNISH:
1 oz white chocolate curls (estimated qty)
raspberries for garnish (~2-3)
sprig mint for garnish

CRUST:
1. Oven to 350°
2. Finely grind graham cracker; add butter & blend till combined.
3. Press crust mixture into bottom (NOT SIDES) of a 9" springform pan.
4. Bake crust till golden brown, ~8 min.

FILLING:
1. Using an elect. mixer, beat cream cheese & sugar till smooth. Add flour, then the eggs, one at a time, beating till just combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Pour filling into the pan & bake for 10 min. at 350°.
4. Reduce oven temp. to 250° and continue baking till set, ~40 min. longer.
5. Cool. Cover & chill in refrigerator overnight.

GLAZE:
1. Bring cream to a simmer; remove from heat & add chopped chocolate.
2. Stir till melted.
3. Cool till glaze is lukewarm.

COMPLETING:
1. Once cheesecake is chilled, remove the sides of the springform pan & place the cake on a rack set over a b. sheet.
2. Pour glaze over the cheesecake, spreading w/offset spatula to cover top and sides; allow excess to drip onto the sheet.
3. Let glaze set before serving.

GARNISH:
Place slice of cheesecake back of plate, top w/white chocolate curls. On either side, place 3 berries and a mint sprig.

Wow, cjs! Thanks. It sounds wonderful. What's not to like?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom