Standing Rib Roast (boneless) - how does this sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
So we're hosting tomorrow night...we have one 3 lb standing rib roast that comes tied (bones removed) for five people. I figure that that'll give about 6 or so ounces of cooked beef per person. That's a rough estimate, though.

Anyhow...was going to prepare it with a recipe from BigOven:

Lemon pepper, paprika, garlic, salt, rosemary and cayenne pepper rub - which I thought I might do tonight and let it sit overnight...

Cook in a Corningware dish for about 1:15 to 1:30, to a temp of about 140 - 145. Use drippings to make a sauce (probably just some water and beef bouillon).

Then serve it with asparagus (just basic steamed with garlic butter) and some roasted baby red potatoes.

Was probably going to open it all with a pita and homemade tzatziki appy, then a spinach salad (with crumbled goat cheese, roasted almonds, sweet bell peppers, cucumber, dried currants and a dijon/evoo/garlic dressing) with just a few prosciutto and chicken raviolis.

Probably serve the appy with a riesling and then the roast with an as of yet undetermined red, possibly something as boring as a Yellow Tail shiraz because it'll please everyone.

Sound alright? I'm definitely open to recommendations on how to improve!

I would take it out more towards 140 than 145, but that's because I like my meat more on the rare side. 140 will give you a nice medium rare. 145 will end up being closer towards medium with the carryover cooking. Becareful when using the beef bouillon because it can turn out very salty. Beef broth or stock will be safer. The other thing would be to change the red wine. If you're set with using a syrah, here are some much, much better choices for under $14 a bottle. You should hopefully be able to find at least one of these in your area. Look for the 2003 or 2004 vintages:

Chateau Ste. Michelle
Fat Bastard
Bonny Doon
d'Arenberg Stump Jump
Buckeley's
Porcupine Ridge
Columbia Valley

Thanks for the tips IC! I really only chose that wine (I have a fairly decent selection) because of the people coming for dinner...they're not exactly wine afficionados so I thought something like the YT was sure to be a palate pleaser.

I tend more towards the medium rare as well, I'd normally stop at 140 as well, just not sure again about the preferences of the guests.

Speaking of temp...does anyone have any meat thermometer recommendations? I have an old digital one that you shove in and wait for a minute or two for it to reach the current temp - never felt it worked all that well, though.

I was thinking of going and picking up the kind that you can just leave in the meat tomorrow...

Silver said:
Thanks for the tips IC! I really only chose that wine (I have a fairly decent selection) because of the people coming for dinner...they're not exactly wine afficionados so I thought something like the YT was sure to be a palate pleaser.

I tend more towards the medium rare as well, I'd normally stop at 140 as well, just not sure again about the preferences of the guests.

Speaking of temp...does anyone have any meat thermometer recommendations? I have an old digital one that you shove in and wait for a minute or two for it to reach the current temp - never felt it worked all that well, though.

I was thinking of going and picking up the kind that you can just leave in the meat tomorrow...

I use the digital Poulder thermometer - I absolutely love it! By the way, your dinner sounds fantastic.

great!

I forgot to mention dessert - a raspberry/mango sorbet (hopefully I can figure out how to make it into "layers") and maybe a healthy (seriously) white chocolate cheesecake with a blueberry sauce

yum!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom