Steak and shrimp dinner doesn't have to cost a lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I like to keep dinner costs down but eat well, as in steak and shrimp well. By utilizing the freezer and vacuum bags, I can have a steak and shrimp dinner on demand for 6 months. Walmart has frozen colossal raw shrimp at $13.88 a pound, and "thin cut" T-bone or other steaks are popular now in supermarkets. I can buy a 2 pak of those for $6.00. I use the vacuum bags to keep the shrimp and steaks fresh in the freezer. The shrimp are big enough that just 3 per steak meal is plenty. I have a baked potato with it along with a salad and Ranch dressing and a french roll. Since I get five (3) servings of shrimp and the steaks are thin cut, the entire delicious steak and shrimp dinner costs me about $6.75. That's not bad with today's soaring food costs.

I can't say enough good things about vacuum bags, especially the low tech systems. I use a battery powered Reynolds Handi-Vac and buy ZipLock's Quart and Gallon vacuum bags (Reynolds stopped making the Handi-Vac bags). I like how the steaks stay red in the freezer and the shrimp stay fresh frozen, no freezer burn. :yum:

steak.jpg

shrimp1.jpg

Since I gave me sealer to Spike, I need to look into getting such a sealer as yours. I took a quick glance at the idea quite a while back. Time for me to revisit. I am open to all suggestions and thoughts on the subject. :angel:

so how do you cook them? :chef:

I thaw the shrimp in running water for about 5 minutes, shell them and butterfly them. I take two wooden skewers and run them thru the top and bottoms so they won't curl while broiling. I cover them with melted butter and sprinkle garlic powder on them. The steaks I thaw then season with salt and pepper and some onion powder and a 5 or 6 drops of worcestershire on each side. I then use my Norpro broiler pan that I've had for the last 20 years or so and broil the thin steaks and butterflied shrimp.

I really LUV this broiler pan, available at Amazon. They make this pan in non-stick, but believe me, you want the stainless steel one. After it gets too dirty from use, spray it with EZ Off oven cleaner and it looks new again.

Norpro.png

Norpro broiler pan: http://www.amazon.com/Nopro-Stainless-Steel-Roasting-Broiler/dp/B0012BR1XU/ref=pd_sim_k_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TH166FQM67M9TKJ9K6S

Since I gave me sealer to Spike, I need to look into getting such a sealer as yours. I took a quick glance at the idea quite a while back. Time for me to revisit. I am open to all suggestions and thoughts on the subject. :angel:

There's one left for sale on Amazon: Amazon.com - Reynolds Handi - Vacuum Starter Kit - Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Accessories

Here's even better. Just the vacuum unit for cheap. Reynolds Handi Vac Vacuum Sealer Food Storage System | eBay

You can use ZipLock's Vacuum bags available at Walmart with the Reynolds vacuum tool. To use it on Ziplock's bags, simply hold the suction nozzle a bit off to the side of the bag's vacuum hole. Works great.

Note: If you like this system, I would really stock up and buy 5 boxes of ZipLock Gallon Bags and 5 boxes of Quart bags. You never know when they'll stop making them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the small broiler pan, just my size!

I agree nothing better than an old school, Madmen style, surf and turf dinner!

My budget steak strategy is a fairly thick 12 ounce boneless Delmonico from the musgo section of the meat case. Aged, beef, on a budget! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I cut them in two and tie them around the edge with string to make them into my version of a plump little 6 ounce fillet, one goes in the frying pan and one goes in the freezer.

A Manhattan, shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, steak and a side of broccoli!

My Father would say "I wonder what the rich folks are eating tonight?" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Funny, I thought I had posted here earlier, asking where the shrimp originated from? If someone removed my post I sure would appreciate a PM as to why.

Funny, I thought I had posted here earlier, asking where the shrimp originated from? If someone removed my post I sure would appreciate a PM as to why.

Indonesia, farm raised. Due to the rise and demand of technology products and the lack of environmental concerns in that part of the world, toxic runoffs have contaminated the local shrimp populations there. Just 7 years ago you could still get fantastic fresh tiger shrimp from that region, not anymore. The seas there are poisoned now due in part to the technology boom.

Walmart's (Aqua Star) colossal shrimp is pretty good for farm raised, not mushy with good shrimp flavor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom