Steak Diane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Buon Giorno, Ladies & Gents,

Steak Diane, is quite an heirloom ... My Swiss French Mom Eva used to prepare this elegant dish many many years ago ... Here is her recipe:

:yum: STEAK DIANE FOR TWO ...

2 FILET MIGNON ( 4 OZ. EACH )
1 1/2 OZ. CLARIFIED BUTTER
1 TSP. DIJON MUSTARD
2 MUSHROOMS OF CHOICE SLICED
1 TSP. SHALLOTS MINCED
1/4 TSP. GARLIC MINCED
1/2 OF A LEMON: JUICE
1 TSP. FRESH PARSLEY
1 OZ. BRANDY
3 OZ. BORDELAISE SAUCE
1 OZ. HEAVY CREAM

*** CLARIFIED BUTTER ... :yum:

butter that has been melted and chilled ... the solid is then lifted away from the liquid and discarded ... clarification raises the smoke point of butter ... clarified butter will stay fresh in refrigerator longer ...

1. Pound each filet to 1/2 inch thickness
2. heat pan to medium high and add butter
3. season steak with dijon mustard and place in pan
4. add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic to pan keeping separate from steaks
5. after 2 mins, turn steaks over
6. squeeze lemon and add parsley to mushrooms
7. add brandy and flambée
8. add sauce and the cream and let reduce
9. remove the steaks from pan
10. spoon sauce and mushrooms over the steaks

*** Serve with a wonderful Red wine or Cava Rosé and crusty French style Baguette ...

Enjoy,
Margaux Cintrano. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kylie: Steak Diane Recipe

Kylie,

I was surprised to see your sauce for my Mom´s recipe. Let me know what you think of the recipe ? Do you prepare similiarly ?

Have lovely Sunday.
Margi. Ciao.

Strange probably, but my brother and I used to beg my mother to make us Steak Dianne when we were probably 5 and 8 years old. She flamed it for us table side!

I haven't made it in years, so thanks for jogging my memory. I'll have to make it soon.

Strange probably, but my brother and I used to beg my mother to make us Steak Dianne when we were probably 5 and 8 years old. She flamed it for us table side!

I haven't made it in years, so thanks for jogging my memory. I'll have to make it soon.

Jenny, did Julia do Steak Diane on the French Chef and have a mishap? :)

Mean4dthem.

Always a pleasure to have you contribute on my threads, and yes, it is a delicious recipe too ... Spinach salad to accompany, cool ... Shall do ...

Have a wonderful summer.
Ciao, Sempre.
Margaux.

lol, jenny. i'll bet you don't feel like an antique.

thanks very much, bolas. i love steak diane and haven't seen a good recipe in a long time.

i really like those high speed recipe videos that gordie puts out.
what,you mean the one's where you can actually see someone cooking the food they talk about?

lol, yes.

gordo had a show, thw f word, where sometimes he cooked a dish, then had contestants replicate the dish in competition, and then a bunch of studio restaurant diners voted on the winner.

he certainly can cook.

lol, yes.

gordo had a show, thw f word, where sometimes he cooked a dish, then had contestants replicate the dish in competition, and then a bunch of studio restaurant diners voted on the winner.

he certainly can cook.
+1.....no doubt about it,just seems to have lost his way in the personality stakes(steaks?)

:chef: Buon Giorno, Ladies & Gents,

Steak Diane, is quite an heirloom ... My Swiss French Mom Eva used to prepare this elegant dish many many years ago ... Here is her recipe:

:yum: STEAK DIANE FOR TWO ...

2 FILET MIGNON ( 4 OZ. EACH )
1 1/2 OZ. CLARIFIED BUTTER
1 TSP. DIJON MUSTARD
2 MUSHROOMS OF CHOICE SLICED
1 TSP. SHALLOTS MINCED
1/4 TSP. GARLIC MINCED
1/2 OF A LEMON: JUICE
1 TSP. FRESH PARSLEY
1 OZ. BRANDY
3 OZ. BORDELAISE SAUCE
1 OZ. HEAVY CREAM

*** CLARIFIED BUTTER ... :yum:

butter that has been melted and chilled ... the solid is then lifted away from the liquid and discarded ... clarification raises the smoke point of butter ... clarified butter will stay fresh in refrigerator longer ...

1. Pound each filet to 1/2 inch thickness
2. heat pan to medium high and add butter
3. season steak with dijon mustard and place in pan
4. add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic to pan keeping separate from steaks
5. after 2 mins, turn steaks over
6. squeeze lemon and add parsley to mushrooms
7. add brandy and flambée
8. add sauce and the cream and let reduce
9. remove the steaks from pan
10. spoon sauce and mushrooms over the steaks

*** Serve with a wonderful Red wine or Cava Rosé and crusty French style Baguette ...

Enjoy,
Margaux Cintrano. ;)

This looks wonderful, will certainly try it, thanks for sharing Margi :)

I like Gordon Ramsay's version - it seems more home-cook-friendly to make it without the bordelaise sauce. Thanks for posting that, Bolas.

I like Gordon Ramsay's version - it seems more home-cook-friendly to make it without the bordelaise sauce. Thanks for posting that, Bolas.
Yeah, that Bordelaise sauce did seem like a stumbling block. I found lots of recipes for Steak Diane that used Worchestershire sauce instead of Bordelaise. I wonder how close those two sauces are.

I tried Gordon Ramsay's version today. It was really good, but I will put less Worchestershire sauce next time, even though that will be a bit tricky, since I didn't measure.

Tax Lady, Buon Giorno,

This recipe is in a Recipe Book handwritten by my Mom Eva who is going to be 96 on October 12th, and thus, this recipe hails from her Mom Margot who was French Swiss --- thus, the sauce.

My European background, does not really extend itself to bottled sauces, and thus, the sauce is always homemade. At the moment, it is far too hot for me to eat Steak Diane, however, I prepare it just as posted in the late autumn in Madrid ...

TASTE TESTING: prepare the sauce first, and do a taste testing ! If you and your hubby like it; go for it ... If not, prepare a different sauce ...

Have a wonderful August.
Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.

Yeah, that Bordelaise sauce did seem like a stumbling block. I found lots of recipes for Steak Diane that used Worchestershire sauce instead of Bordelaise. I wonder how close those two sauces are.

I tried Gordon Ramsay's version today. It was really good, but I will put less Worchestershire sauce next time, even though that will be a bit tricky, since I didn't measure.

Tax Lady, Buon Giorno,

This recipe is in a Recipe Book handwritten by my Mom Eva who is going to be 96 on October 12th, and thus, this recipe hails from her Mom Margot who was French Swiss --- thus, the sauce.

My European background, does not really extend itself to bottled sauces, and thus, the sauce is always homemade. At the moment, it is far too hot for me to eat Steak Diane, however, I prepare it just as posted in the late autumn in Madrid ...

TASTE TESTING: prepare the sauce first, and do a taste testing ! If you and your hubby like it; go for it ... If not, prepare a different sauce ...

Have a wonderful August.
Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.
as a fellow european i'm not sure that particular background precludes the use of bottled sauces margi.i am sure they are as popular in europe as other parts of the world.
worcestershire sauce seems to be an almost universal seasoning employed by cooks & chefs around the world.the mexican dish i cooked last night employed salsa inglesa as it is known over there.
but you are right,it's a matter of personal preference

Back
Top Bottom