"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I also agree you have to go high heat. For whole steaks I like to use a cast iron grill pan. It cooks great and locks in all the juices and you stil get those cool grill marks.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Cooking steaks on cast iron is a great way to cook them, but it does not lock in any juices.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

The way Mom taught me, and she learned it in France, was to put some vegetable oil in a skillet. Heat it up. Then a dab of butter (actually, we didn't have much moolah and it was usually margarine). The oil will keep the butter/margarine from burning for some reason. A thin steak, heavy on the S&P, then fry to your preference (in those days we all liked it very rare. I still do!). If it is a thicker slice, then throw some sliced onions and/or sliced mushrooms in the mix. If you are truly broke, buy a cubed steak and dredge it in flour, salt and pepper and do the same thing. That makes a great breakfast steak.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish I remembered exactly how I cooked this one memorable steak for myself years ago when I was single. I DO remember trimming off some of the fat from around the edge and just rubbing the pan (I think it was a small CI) with it. That was the only "oil" I used, and it turned out tender and deelish. Wish I remembered the cut of meat and the temp I used because I've never made one as good since then in a pan.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Cook

Along with the techniques above, try a carbon steel fry pan. They are similar to a CI pan, but they heat much quicker, get hotter and are excellent for searing meat. They are pretty cheap as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

cast iron is great but carbon steel is awesome.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Cooking steaks on cast iron is a great way to cook them, but it does not lock in any juices.
I respectfully but completely disagree with this statement. I cook steaks in cast iron pans all the time, & a very hot cast iron pan most definitely sears the meat perfectly & locks in the juices. I LOVE properly cooked cast-iron-pan steaks. The key is the pan being at the correct "sizzle" temp. A hot pan definitely seals in all the juices.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The techniques for cooking slices of steak as opposed to a whole steak are different. However, the key to success for both is high heat.

If you're cooking slices of steak for a dish, thake the stir fry approach. High heat and a little oil both super hot, add the strips of steak in a single layer and allow the to sear undisturbed for a minute. Then stir vigerously for a minute or two more until the steak is done to your liking.

For a whole steak, get you CI skillet smokin' hot and place the steak in the pan. Don't try to move it around at all. After 3-4 minutes turn it over and repeat. IF the steak is more than 1.5 inches thick finish it in a 400 F oven.
Great description, Andy! I always do my steaks in a pan. Back in the day, we always broiled them, but I find I have more control of the outcome with the pan method. Like anything else, it takes a little practice.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I respectfully but completely disagree with this statement. I cook steaks in cast iron pans all the time, & a very hot cast iron pan most definitely sears the meat perfectly & locks in the juices. I LOVE properly cooked cast-iron-pan steaks. The key is the pan being at the correct "sizzle" temp. A hot pan definitely seals in all the juices.
Cooking in a hot pan absolutely sears the meat. I will certainly agree with you on that. It has been proven that it does not lock in juices though and actually does the opposite. Searing the meat ruptures the cell walls and makes juice come out. Weigh your steak before and after and you will see that it weight less after you cook it. This is because of moisture loss.

Here is a link with a little more info.

Google searing meat seals in juices and you will find a ton of other links that all say the same thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
cast iron is great but carbon steel is awesome.
I love my carbon steel pans, but cast iron is not for the same purposes, imho. Yes, I use the carbon steel pans for steaks and chops. the best!

Tags
None