"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I also love a NY strip steak but when Prime boneless sirloin goes on sale I buy one.
That's a great deal you got there.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's a great deal you got there.
I got one about a month ago. The butcher said that they had Prime cut boneless sirloin on sale 2 weeks before for $3.99/lb. I missed that deal

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Scott, and welcome. You've had excellent advice from our members and it so happens that I'll be cooking these 2.5" bacon wrapped Filet Mignon's tonight.
I use extra thick bacon and secure it with silicone cooking bands although you could use cooking twine to tie them.
I generously salt and pepper them and use a screaming hot skillet (either cast iron, or carbon steel) to sear them on all sides. Using tongs, think of them as a ball and cook all the bacon surfaces first so the bacon is cooked, and the fat is left behind for the two meat surfaces. At this point you can turn the heat down to medium. We like ours very rare and I know from experience when they are done, but an instant read thermometer is a good idea if you don't know.

I'll try to remember to post another picture after I cook them.

By the way, thanks for the nice words from you about American steaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130057[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	31498  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
Master Chef

Welcome again Scott, and by the way there are NEVER any stupid questions.

I guess I'm kind of stuck in my ways...as far as steak, I do what I've done for decades and grill it on the charcoal Weber. I take it out of the fridge, let it set for a while to get the chill off, simply season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and light the coals. When the flames have died down but the coals are still screamin' hot, I put the steak on the grill and never walk away - even for a second.

I grilled this little rib eye this afternoon. Kind of fatty, but fat is flavor and the big chunks were cut off. When the steak came off the grill, there was still enough heat for the prepped asparagus and a couple of Johnsonville brats for later, so they went on the grill while the steak was resting. May as well use up all that heat while it's there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	31499  
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Scott, and welcome. You've had excellent advice from our members and it so happens that I'll be cooking these 2.5" bacon wrapped Filet Mignon's tonight.
I use extra thick bacon and secure it with silicone cooking bands although you could use cooking twine to tie them.
I generously salt and pepper them and use a screaming hot skillet (either cast iron, or carbon steel) to sear them on all sides. Using tongs, think of them as a ball and cook all the bacon surfaces first so the bacon is cooked, and the fat is left behind for the two meat surfaces. At this point you can turn the heat down to medium. We like ours very rare and I know from experience when they are done, but an instant read thermometer is a good idea if you don't know.

I'll try to remember to post another picture after I cook them.

By the way, thanks for the nice words from you about American steaks.

Just for fun, I timed the total cook time (6 min.) as instructed, and the rest time on a plate under foil was 10 minutes. It's always scientifically important to rest your steaks after cooking to insure the juice is in the meat and not on your plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9130059[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	31502   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130061[1].jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	31503  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've found that reverse searing - roast in a low oven till it reaches your desired temperature, then sear - works great, and you can hold the steak in the oven for quite a while if necessary. Here is detailed information about this method: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/...ook-steak.html

The picture is making my mouth water
Thank you for that link. I will have to give this a try. I think this will help in making two different doneness levels. DH doesn't want to see any hints of pink and I like mine medium rare or less cooked. I can put his in the oven and put the thermometer with the buzzer and let it tell me when his steak has increased by 20F, then stick mine in the oven.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you for that link. I will have to give this a try. I think this will help in making two different doneness levels. DH doesn't want to see any hints of pink and I like mine medium rare or less cooked. I can put his in the oven and put the thermometer with the buzzer and let it tell me when his steak has increased by 20F, then stick mine in the oven.
That should work. You're welcome
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-180 View Post
hi everyone,

i am a new member here and am probably posting stupid basic questions so apologies for this but what is the best way to cook steak?

I've heard people say frying in oil or butter, or some say frying in nothing at all?

Also what is best for seasoning? I just use salt and pepper but it always tastes a bit bland, nothing like when I have it in a restaurant.

I would be especially interested to hear from any Americans on this as I have always found that steak in America tastes better than anywhere else in the world!
Sorry, not American but might have something useful to say as I'm in the UK too and I have time-served butchers, professional cooks and a local authority meat inspector in the family.

We have basically 3 types of steaks over here - fillet steak, which is the most expensive and the least tasty. sirloin steak and rump steak (you often see TV demos with other cuts of meat but I don't deal with those so not able to comment.) Personally my preference is with sirloin as it has flavour and is somewhat tenderer than rump but "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

Personally, I usually grill (for Americans - read "broil") my steaks. I like mine a little more red than pink but everyone to their taste. Always heat the grill before putting the steak under it. I don't put anything on the steak until after it's cooked but that's a matter of taste. For the amount of time taken to cook the steak I can recommend the "finger" test (look it up on "Google"). It works whether you like steak well-done or barely cooked.

On the odd occasion when I fry steak I use a mixture of butter and cooking oil (usually sunflower or rapeseed - often sold under the name of "vegetable oil" in the UK) the oil prevents the butter from burning and the butter adds flavour.

Apart from the above, the really important thing is to start with good quality meat. I'm lucky in that where I live we have the sort of old-fashioned, time-served butcher who cuts the meat properly and can tell you which farm your piece of steak came from. I know this seems expensive but you get what you pay for in meat, as in the rest of life, and you don't need as much.

Sadly. if you are forced to resort to supermarkets, very few of them have their own "proper" butcher on site these days. Sainsbury's used to but I don't think they do anymore. I understand that Morrison's stores usually do have their qualified butchers on site so you aren't stuck with industrialised pre-packed stuff. It's also worth bearing in mind that the "Red Tractor" badge isn't always all that it's cracked up to be.

And off at a tangent, I wouldn't knowingly give my money to a restaurant which used sous vide. Basically, it's stewing the meat before browning it off, which may allow them to serve up inferior meat as "steak" but doesn't do real steak any favours! (As I said at first, I have connections at all ends of the trade and am well versed it what goes on in some establishments!)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #19
Master Chef

Sauces to serve with steak:-

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...n-make-minutes
Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...And off at a tangent, I wouldn't knowingly give my money to a restaurant which used sous vide. Basically, it's stewing the meat before browning it off, which may allow them to serve up inferior meat as "steak" but doesn't do real steak any favours! (As I said at first, I have connections at all ends of the trade and am well versed it what goes on in some establishments!)
I don't think this is the case. If you want a medium rare steak (more red than pink), you cook it to an internal temperature of about 125F-130F (54.4C). That's a significantly lower temperature than is needed to stew beef unless you cook it for hours. If you order a sirloin strip that shouldn't be an issue unless the restaurant tries to substitute an inferior cut. Then shame on you for not knowing the difference.

Tags
steak