Steak sauces/gravies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardor

Assistant Cook
Any steak sauce or gravies that are really good? I recently obtained some steak... they were on sale, cheaper than chicken!

Personally I never bother with sauce for my steaks. If cooked right all you need is the meat.

I like to tenderize and marinate my steaks overnight. Then I brush the leftover marinade on the steaks as their grilling

I marinate my steaks in half dale's seasoning and half mojo...
it gives the steak a delicious taste...
HAPPY GRILLING :)

I agree with the "no sauce" crowd, although when making steak at home I do frequently marinate it a little.

I particularly dislike A1 Sauce - talk about overpowering anything & everything it touches!!

This is my very favorite sauce for steak. It sounds a bit odd til you try it, but then I guarantee you will be addicted. Its rather earthy flavour is an excellent complement to the meat.

Ardor said:
Any steak sauce or gravies that are really good? I recently obtained some steak... they were on sale, cheaper than chicken!

:chef: Here is some let me know what you think?

Steak Sauce

• 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups canned plum tomatoes and juices, puréed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 3 Tablespoons ancho chile powder
  • 2 chipotle chiles, canned
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed medium sized saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool at room temperature. Will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator stored in a tightly sealed container.

Hot Mustard Sauce

Hot Mustard Sauce: 1/2 cup Coleman's Dry Mustard. 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar Mix the above and let sit overnight, then add: 1 beaten egg 1/3 cup sugar Cook the mixture (over stove) until thick, then add: 1 cup salad dressing or mayonaise (more or less) Hope you like it!

Well, call me a progressive. There are very few foods that I do not believe can be enhanced by coating in some sort of a sauce. I don't care if it's a steak sauce, a BBQ sauce, a hollandaise sauce a syrup or a mustard sauce...there's always something you can put on top of a dish to make it better.

On steaks? I love A1. I prefer Lea & Perrins. I find myself put off by the homemade sauces that taste nothing like the bottled steak sauces.

Our dinner special tomorrow is strip loin with mushroom and green peppercorn sauce, served with parmesan potato wedges, veggies, etc.. Trust me that this is good. The last few times I made this it sold like crazy. I actually ate the leftover sauce on it's own while we tore down(with a fork and away from the food area, absolutely yummy!:pig: ). I had planned on making it from scratch, but priced out the ingredients and went with McCormicks green peppercorn sauce in a packet. I made the sauce as directed on the package and added some sauteed fresh mushrooms. Held in the steam table wonderfully. Green peppercorns are not as spicy as the black ones. I understand that Knorr makes it as well. I love Knorr products, but couldn't find it up here. I got alot of good feedback on it too.:chef:

If the steak is cooked the way I like it, I don't need anything. If it's cooked longer than I like, I've been known to get out the Heinz 57.
I once had a fillet at a restaurant that had what I think was Hollondaise sauce on it. The sauce didn't mask the taste of the lovely beef, just enhanced it.

I usually don't sauce steaks either, but I do use a good spice rub on them before putting them on the grill. I particularly enjoy McCormics Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Humm .. steak ... which critter, which cut, and what cooking method? A ham steak is not the same as a bison rib steak - which has no comparison to a beef Porterhouse ... or a tri-tip steak, or a cubed steak properly breaded and fried to make a proper "chicken-fried steak".

Some people like to slather on "steak sauces" .... I don't. I know the McCormics Montreal Steak Seasoning JohnL is talking about - I use that for burgers ... not for good steaks. But, then, on the otherhand ... "Steak Diane" depends on the pan sauce to be what it is ......

But - if I'm going to slop some bottled sauce on my steak .... I prefer HP (from England), or A1, but Heinz isn't out of the question .... and there was a "tiger" sauce I tried once that was yummy ....

There are a kazillion ways to do a steak ... which ever sounds best to you is the way you should go.

I like either Dijon mustard or horseradish sauce on the side if I'm eating a plain, grilled steak.

I like a bleu cheese sauce or horseradish sauce. Most times I just sprinkle bleu cheese on the meat though.

Oh I just remembered that a bernaise sauce is really good with tenderloin, also. I used to eat at a restaurant that had a lunch special with an English muffin, topped with a filet, topped with bean sprouts and bernaise...it all worked.

Last edited:
I sometimes make bearnaise sauce for SO when we have filet. I usually stick with just salt and pepper. I may try a bite or two with the bearnaise.

Back
Top Bottom