"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
Half Baked

That is not a cuban! That is not a cuban restaurant you linked but a mexican restaurant instead. It would be a Torta in a mexican restaurant but the fries on it don't even qualify it for that. I am not saying it is not good, Just clarifying.

Cubans are made with pork. They are not panninis either.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
That is not a cuban! That is not a cuban restaurant you linked but a mexican restaurant instead.
Sorry but you are wrong on both counts. That is a Cuban Steak Sandwich. There is a Traditional Cuban sandwich, in which the authenticity level is quite in NJ and Florida because Cuban population is quite high. A Media Noche and a Cuban Steak Sandwich (which is what is pictured) which is JUST as popular as the original cuban sandwich in some areas. I spent 30 years in Northern NJ (I live in So Cal now) and I have visited Dos Amigos over 100 times.

In fact the owners and the food 1000% Cuban.

Your from the Bay area you KNOW your Mexican food.

And being from Northern NJ, dude I KNOW my Cuban food. Trust me the Cuban STEAK Sandwich is very much part of Cuban Cuisine. (And Yes there is the more traditional version, but the steak variation is served by every Cuban Restaurant in the NJ/NY tri state area.)

Some times the fries are substituted for potato sticks.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ich-90784.aspx

and actually most places, in northern NJ do press them down with a panini presser.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
Half Baked

Cuban sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then it is a Cuban Steak Sandwich. Not a Cuban. The smooth pannini press is a Plancha. Just Sayin!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

We can all agree there are Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, etc., and there are Cuban steak sandwiches made with steak. Two different sandwiches.

The OP referenced Cuban sandwiches and steak tacos. She probably should have said Cuban steak sandwiches and steak tacos.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzarotti View Post
Sorry Chef, I was not specific enough... I meant Cuban STEAK sandwiches like the one pictured below.

OP did clarify ... jes' saying.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Don't care what it's called, it sounds good!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I've only heard of the Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, pickle and flattened out referred to as pressed Cubans. If someone offered me a Cuban... fish, steak, chicken or any other sandwich simply referred to as a Cuban ______ sandwich, I would assume it was simply spiced in a Cuban kind of way, maybe pressed, maybe not. I've never been to Cuba, but they must make more than one kind of sammie down there
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
I've only heard of the Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, pickle and flattened out referred to as pressed Cubans. If someone offered me a Cuban... fish, steak, chicken or any other sandwich simply referred to as a Cuban ______ sandwich, I would assume it was simply spiced in a Cuban kind of way, maybe pressed, maybe not. I've never been to Cuba, but they must make more than one kind of sammie down there
We have friends who have been to Cuba. Still not legal here, but it's on my bucket list.

According to their reports, yes indeedy, they do have all of the above, cooked in many ways, including steak sammies!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I too would LOVE to visit Cuba. And I yes I do plan to go. And yes I do plan to go. And YES that means I am enough of a Scofflaw to visit via Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. I know enough people who have made the trip enough times to explain to me exactly how to do it with out getting your passport stamped.

And no, I don't think its morally wrong to visit just because there's a mandated travel restriction on it.

I have just heard great things about Old Havana.

Tags
recipe, steak

Steak Tacos using "Choice Chunk" Steak Cut Great Steak Tacos (with “choice chunk” steak) So a lot of people don’t buy choice chunk steak because it is a “cheap cut” but choice chunk is actually quite prefect for cooking certain things like Cuban Sandwiches and Steak tacos. So the first step is too enderize the beef. Layer the top and bottom with salt for one hour for each inch of thickness Wash the salt off thouroughly Then take a sauté pan and mix a olive oil / canola oil blend with a tiny little garlic clove. When you feel the garlic has permeated the oil. Throw it into the big pan. And add the steak. Cook both sides until the steak starts to brown. Finally on a cutting board and cube the steak into ½ millimeter cubes. Like a taco place would. And diced onion. (You can refrigerate this steak and use it for omelttes the next morning. ) Have ready green lettuce washed a can of corn and Newman’s Oil and Vinegar Dressing to top. On the sautee pan use butter or shortener to lightly toast each side of the tortillas you use till it slightly starts to brown. Now you have ever thing you need. Final Step assemble your STEAK tacos. Enjoy. -Teeky 3 stars 1 reviews