"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Euoropeans and Canadians have been doing it for years. Legally. Sigh.

Would love to try a real Cuban cigar, as well as the cuisine and the snorkeling.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Would love to try a real Cuban cigar, as well as the cuisine and the snorkeling.
A flight from the domincan republic costs about $100 USD and you can request to fly with just your drivers license. (they understand why) Many people do it that way, no one ever finds out. It has to be a "sub trip" from your visit to the DR.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:

I bring Cuban cigars back from Europe everytime I go.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzarotti
A flight from the domincan republic costs about $100 USD and you can request to fly with just your drivers license. (they understand why) Many people do it that way, no one ever finds out. It has to be a "sub trip" from your visit to the DR.
Hear ya. Same from Mexico. Just don't want to encourage illegal "tripping"...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Hear ya. Same from Mexico. Just don't want to encourage illegal "tripping"...
I do... i think the restriction is non sense.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema

I bring Cuban cigars back from Europe everytime I go.
They'll confiscate them at Customs between Mexico and US. I think they have cigar sniffing dogs.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I have had one the lady who used to cut my hair was cuban at one point she gave me one... it was pretty good. but not $20 good lol
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #38
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
They'll confiscate them at Customs between Mexico and US. I think they have cigar sniffing dogs.
they have dogs that sniff everything, lol

Every time I go home, I bring about 40 Cubans back to the US. Though I haven't been home in about 5 years, Neeeever had a problem. Cruising Customs, and overall security can be a bit lax, and Cubans are pretty cheap on Bermuda. I need to charge my buddies more next time I go, gotta supplement the income any way I can, lol.

I have heard that the travel restrictions for Americans going to Cuba is not too far from being all together lifted. I would LOVE to go there, man that would be awesome, if anything, just for all the awesome old cars, lol!

The food of Cuba is such an amazing mix, and a very user friendly intro to Latin Cuisine. We have a million and six different types of Comero Latino here in NOVA/DC, but Cuban in particular is hard to come by, such a shame.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #39
Executive Chef

I'm the same with Brandy and Cigars. I only do the ones I can't afford but once in a blue moon. To me, a top-of-the-list Cuban cigar with a top-of-the-list Brandy is something to make a perfect day.

Tags
recipe, steak

Steak Tacos using "Choice Chunk" Steak Cut Great Steak Tacos (with “choice chunk” steak) So a lot of people don’t buy choice chunk steak because it is a “cheap cut” but choice chunk is actually quite prefect for cooking certain things like Cuban Sandwiches and Steak tacos. So the first step is too enderize the beef. Layer the top and bottom with salt for one hour for each inch of thickness Wash the salt off thouroughly Then take a sauté pan and mix a olive oil / canola oil blend with a tiny little garlic clove. When you feel the garlic has permeated the oil. Throw it into the big pan. And add the steak. Cook both sides until the steak starts to brown. Finally on a cutting board and cube the steak into ½ millimeter cubes. Like a taco place would. And diced onion. (You can refrigerate this steak and use it for omelttes the next morning. ) Have ready green lettuce washed a can of corn and Newman’s Oil and Vinegar Dressing to top. On the sautee pan use butter or shortener to lightly toast each side of the tortillas you use till it slightly starts to brown. Now you have ever thing you need. Final Step assemble your STEAK tacos. Enjoy. -Teeky 3 stars 1 reviews