Steak Tacos using "Choice Chunk" Steak Cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is not a cuban! That is not a cuban restaurant you linked but a mexican restaurant instead. It would be a Torta in a mexican restaurant but the fries on it don't even qualify it for that. I am not saying it is not good, Just clarifying.

Cubans are made with pork. They are not panninis either.

Last edited:
That is not a cuban! That is not a cuban restaurant you linked but a mexican restaurant instead.

Sorry but you are wrong on both counts. That is a Cuban Steak Sandwich. There is a Traditional Cuban sandwich, in which the authenticity level is quite in NJ and Florida because Cuban population is quite high. A Media Noche and a Cuban Steak Sandwich (which is what is pictured) which is JUST as popular as the original cuban sandwich in some areas. I spent 30 years in Northern NJ (I live in So Cal now) and I have visited Dos Amigos over 100 times.

In fact the owners and the food 1000% Cuban.

Your from the Bay area you KNOW your Mexican food.

And being from Northern NJ, dude I KNOW my Cuban food. Trust me the Cuban STEAK Sandwich is very much part of Cuban Cuisine. (And Yes there is the more traditional version, but the steak variation is served by every Cuban Restaurant in the NJ/NY tri state area.)

Some times the fries are substituted for potato sticks.

We can all agree there are Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, etc., and there are Cuban steak sandwiches made with steak. Two different sandwiches.

The OP referenced Cuban sandwiches and steak tacos. She probably should have said Cuban steak sandwiches and steak tacos.

Sorry Chef, I was not specific enough... I meant Cuban STEAK sandwiches like the one pictured below.

img_1060240_0_07863f70a9d77e1a0d5fae0f6eeeb647.jpg

OP did clarify ... jes' saying.

I've only heard of the Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, pickle and flattened out referred to as pressed Cubans. If someone offered me a Cuban... fish, steak, chicken or any other sandwich simply referred to as a Cuban ______ sandwich, I would assume it was simply spiced in a Cuban kind of way, maybe pressed, maybe not. I've never been to Cuba, but they must make more than one kind of sammie down there ;)

pacanis said:
I've only heard of the Cuban sandwiches made with pork, ham, cheese, pickle and flattened out referred to as pressed Cubans. If someone offered me a Cuban... fish, steak, chicken or any other sandwich simply referred to as a Cuban ______ sandwich, I would assume it was simply spiced in a Cuban kind of way, maybe pressed, maybe not. I've never been to Cuba, but they must make more than one kind of sammie down there ;)

We have friends who have been to Cuba. Still not legal here, but it's on my bucket list.

According to their reports, yes indeedy, they do have all of the above, cooked in many ways, including steak sammies!

I too would LOVE to visit Cuba. And I yes I do plan to go. And yes I do plan to go. And YES that means I am enough of a Scofflaw to visit via Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. I know enough people who have made the trip enough times to explain to me exactly how to do it with out getting your passport stamped.

And no, I don't think its morally wrong to visit just because there's a mandated travel restriction on it.

I have just heard great things about Old Havana.

The Euoropeans and Canadians have been doing it for years. Legally. Sigh.

Would love to try a real Cuban cigar, as well as the cuisine and the snorkeling.

Last edited:
The Euoropeans and Canadians have been doing it for years. Legally. Sigh.

Would love to try a real Cuban cigar, as well as the cuisine and the snorkeling.
A flight from the domincan republic costs about $100 USD and you can request to fly with just your drivers license. (they understand why) Many people do it that way, no one ever finds out. It has to be a "sub trip" from your visit to the DR.

panzarotti said:
A flight from the domincan republic costs about $100 USD and you can request to fly with just your drivers license. (they understand why) Many people do it that way, no one ever finds out. It has to be a "sub trip" from your visit to the DR.

Hear ya. Same from Mexico. Just don't want to encourage illegal "tripping"...;)

jennyema said:
I bring Cuban cigars back from Europe everytime I go.

They'll confiscate them at Customs between Mexico and US. I think they have cigar sniffing dogs.

Last edited:
I have had one the lady who used to cut my hair was cuban at one point she gave me one... it was pretty good. but not $20 good lol

They'll confiscate them at Customs between Mexico and US. I think they have cigar sniffing dogs.

they have dogs that sniff everything, lol

Every time I go home, I bring about 40 Cubans back to the US. Though I haven't been home in about 5 years, Neeeever had a problem. Cruising Customs, and overall security can be a bit lax, and Cubans are pretty cheap on Bermuda. I need to charge my buddies more next time I go, gotta supplement the income any way I can, lol.

I have heard that the travel restrictions for Americans going to Cuba is not too far from being all together lifted. I would LOVE to go there, man that would be awesome, if anything, just for all the awesome old cars, lol!

The food of Cuba is such an amazing mix, and a very user friendly intro to Latin Cuisine. We have a million and six different types of Comero Latino here in NOVA/DC, but Cuban in particular is hard to come by, such a shame.

I'm the same with Brandy and Cigars. I only do the ones I can't afford but once in a blue moon. To me, a top-of-the-list Cuban cigar with a top-of-the-list Brandy is something to make a perfect day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom