"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I suspect that's a misprint. It's been a while since I've made it, but I'm sure I would've only used the yolk, since I don't eat raw egg whites, either.

My dad, who was a butcher by trade, used to make his own version of steak tartare. He used worcestershire and onion powder in his. Not exactly classic ingredients, but pretty darned good.
I think you are right about the misprint. I have never heard of using the egg whites with steak tartare.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #32
Head Chef

Thanks again Steve. That's one reason I wanted to hear from someone who'd made it. Misprints are all to common and can change a dish quite a bit. Is my changing it from loin to ribeye cap going to make much difference IYHO? It's a tasty cut so I figured it would work.

Taxlady, I'm sure my neighbor hasn't had them vaccinated against salmonella. I didn't know that could be done. I'll mention it to her. I wouldn't call her a "chicken farmer". She's just a lady who loves her chickens, has lot's of them, and has ton's of eggs she is always trying to get rid of. And thanks for seconding not using raw whites. That just seems gross to me.

Okay folks. I'm going to make this tomorrow before the local beef gets too old. I'm going to use Steve's basic recipe and maybe tweek it a bit. If you don't hear from me again I've offed myself from evil poisons due to improper food preparation.

But I've got a feeling you won't be so lucky and you'll have to put up with me in the future. Perhaps you won't hear from me for awhile due to an extended hospital stay but I've got a feeling I'll be back.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Head Chef

Almost forgot.

Before I kick the bucket, Thanks DC. for your input.

You're so right about there is no "one and only" way. Take what you want and leave the rest.

That's why I'm leaving the raw whites. Just can't do it.

And I couldn't agree more about your observation about raw eggs and fast food.

You pay your money and you take your chances.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #34
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Thanks again Steve. That's one reason I wanted to hear from someone who'd made it. Misprints are all to common and can change a dish quite a bit. Is my changing it from loin to ribeye cap going to make much difference IYHO? It's a tasty cut so I figured it would work.
The only reason I like tenderloin in ST is because of the almost total lack of fat. While I love fattier cuts of meat when cooked, there's something about raw fat that's a little weird to me texture-wise. But it could very well just be me.

By the way, did you know this dish is sometimes made from horse meat in Europe? I wonder what cut they use.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #35
Head Chef

I was going to say what Steve said ... Ribeye has the fat which may throw off your texture a bit. I know when we make wildcat, we use very lean ground beef for that reason. The fat is cold and gets weird. And yes to just the yolk. Let us know how it turns out!

I'm not weighing in on the whole egg "discussion" other than to say I would trust a woman who loves her chickens :)
Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The only reason I like tenderloin in ST is because of the almost total lack of fat. While I love fattier cuts of meat when cooked, there's something about raw fat that's a little weird to me texture-wise. But it could very well just be me.
Ewwww, raw fat. I agree, Steve and JMediger!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #37
Head Chef

Thanks folks. I see what you're saying about raw fat and how it can be kind of gross. The cuts I'm going to use aren't heavily fatted and the meat has a nice "beefy taste. The next time I go local I'll get a loin and give that a try but you work with what you have.

Steve My neighbor has horses too but I don't think she'll be willing to let me chop off a hunk to make Tartare.

JMediger, She loves her chickens to a fault. And I'll let you know how it turns out if I live past all the food safety issues.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Zagut--I would eat eggs from your neighbour without worrying as long as she keeps her chicken coop clean and rodents are not an issue since rodents are the carriers, the laying hens do not suffer, and it is transferred to the eggs. I lightly brush off any dirt on the eggs and do not wash them because washing them removes the bloom. I also crack the egg on a flat surface and into a cup rather than directly into the pan so if there is an issue, e.g., a bloody egg, I can deal with that.

I've eaten a lot of raw eggs (eggnog when a child, tartar as a teenager, Caesar dressing, etc., and have made it to 55 years w/out suffering from doing so).
Old 03-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #39
Head Chef

Just wanted to let you all know "I ain't dead yet"

Had to wait until the weekend to make it. I followed and scaled down Emeril's recipe that Steve gave me.

Turned out quite good if I must say so myself.

Now that I've had it I'll know how I might want to tweek it in the future with the information from all the various recipes.

It sure isn't something you want to chow down on large amounts of.

And for the eggheads here. I used fresh eggs from my neighbor. I even got to personally thank the chicken who laid them.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Glad to see you are alive and well and enjoyed the steak tartar.

Tags
other, steak