Stew beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybee

Senior Cook
I purchased a lot of stew beef. Sometimes I make beef stew. Any other suggestions/recipes for using all this meat?

marinate with whole white mushrooms and quartered onions in red wine or dark beer (or even sweet sherry and black rum), bay leaves, garlic, and black pepper overnight. then skewer the beef, alternating with the mushrooms and onions and grill. sheesh kabobs!!!!

oops, i should have mentioned that you should make the marinade without the onions and mushrooms first, bring to a boil, then let it cool off. then put the meat, onions and mushrooms in the marinade. otherwise, the meat would taste funny from the alcohol.

This is super easy and very tasty

1 lb Stew Meat
1 can Mushroom pieces (I used fresh and it was fabulous)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 pkg Onion Soup Mix

Combine all ingredients in Slow cooker and mix together. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

You could really slowly cook the meat in a nice, richly flavoured tomato sauce until the meat disintergrates for a variation on a bolognaise sauce that doesn't use beef mince.

You could make any number of casseroles, including a very tasty Beef Carbonnade with or without a pastry top.

Give it a try with what I call "Lancastshire Hot Pot" (apologies to Kyles, and other such "Brits"!)

6 medium "new" red potato's, peeled and sliced 3/8" thick
2-2.5 lbs stewing meat, blade roast or steak, cut to cubes (also works with rough cuts of pork, or best, with beef shank)(pick your poison, this isn't meant to be expensive!)
3 medium yellow onions, diced
3 cups boiling water
1 pkg onion soup mix
5-6 medium carrots, peeled and cut to "rounds"
1/3 cup margerine (maybe a touch more with stewing beef?)
3/4 oz Worcestshire
S+P
1/2 cup AP flour

Use flour to coat your selection of meat cubes, shaking together in a plastic bag, or Tupperware container...

In a 4 liter Enamelled Iron Dutch Oven (Crock Pot Cooking would also work!) layer in the potato, onion and carrot slices alternately, adding beefcubes on top of each single grouping layer-you will get about 3 levels with this quantity-

Season each layer with S+P

Separately, bring the water to aboil, add soup mix and Worcestshire, mix well, and pour into your pot...

Top with margerine.

Cover, bake in oven at 325 degrees for 180-210 minutes...

Lifter

I like to cook it with onion, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, and soy sauce, then serve it over rice. I add other things, depending on my mood and what is in the cupboards/refrigerator.

:) Barbara

honeybee, I have a recipe for Flemish Beer Stew somewhere upstairs if you are interested. As I remember, it is pretty much like a regular beef stew except the only vegetables in it are potatoes, onions, and mushrooms. Of course, the liquid is stale beer.

Personally, I omit carrots and add rutabaga or parsnip or both. Lots of onions and garlic. Sometimes make dumplings for it or homemade biscuits on top.

I second the beef stroganoff idea. Toss the meat in the crock pot for several hours, then drain the broth off & thicken it with roux. Pour it over the meat, add some sauted muchrooms, onions, garlic & diced tomatoes. Then stir in some sour cream. Season to taste. Mmmmm....great over rice, noodles or spaetzel. :D

norgeskog said:
honeybee, I have a recipe for Flemish Beer Stew somewhere upstairs if you are interested. /quote]

This is the recipe I have, norgeskog. Similar to yours?

Flemish Carbonnade
4 to 6 servings

2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
(I use 4 to 5 short ribs instead)

4 large onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 bottle of beer
2 T flour
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T light or dark brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 t dried thyme leaves

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (optional garnish)

Preheat oven to 350. Place large ovenproof Dutch oven or deep-sided skillet with tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Brown short ribs evenly on all sides in a little oil, working in batches if necessary, for a total of about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

To drippings, add onions and garlic, scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon, until onions are softened - 8 to 10 minutes.

In medium bowl, whisk together the beer and flour until no lumps remain. Stir in vinegar and brown sugar to combine. Add this mixture to softened onions in skillet, return beef to pan, add bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil.

Cover and transfer pan to oven until beef is very tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Make mashed potatoes or boiled egg noodles to go with the resulting gravy.

Garnish with parsley if desired.

mudbug said:
norgeskog said:
honeybee, I have a recipe for Flemish Beer Stew somewhere upstairs if you are interested. /quote]

This is the recipe I have, norgeskog. Similar to yours?

Flemish Carbonnade

yes mudbug, except mine calls for stale beer, says to leave on counter uncapped I guess so the bubbles go away. Other than that it appears to be the same.

New England Boiled Dinner:

You're not using the more traditional corned beef, but it's still great.

Brown the stewing beef and then cover with about a quart of water. Add 6 quartered potatoes, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 4 to 6 peeled carrot chunks, 2 sliced onions, a bay leaf or two, a quartered head of purple or green cabbage, and about a tbs. of salt. Cover and simmer for about two hours, or cook all day in the crock-pot. You can speed the cooking time by cooking in a large pressure cooker, following the appliance's directions.

When done, correct the seasoning with more salt & or pepper as required.

Serve with buttered whole wheat bread rolls.

Of course this recipe is highly alterable as to what veggies you want to add. But I like it this way. And if, like me, you're diabetic, you give the spuds and carrots to someone else and eat the meat, onion, broth, and cabbage. You can also add chunks of rutabegga to this recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ahhhh - Haggis beat me to the curry - I love beef curry with carrots, caramilized onions, green peas over rice - yum - comfort food!!!

Back
Top Bottom