Stovetop Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Mr HB's sister sent his mother's recipe for Stovetop Suffing Meatloaf so he wanted me to make it, of course. It was a beautiful light meatloaf but I can't stand the taste of the chemicals in the stovetop stuffing.

I'm thinking I could cube and dry out 6oz of french bread, crush it with a rolling pin and add 1 c chicken broth instead of water. Adding some poultry seasoning would finish the business, I believe.

I would have never thought of putting chicken flavoring into meatloaf but it was really good. Hmmm, maybe it would be even better with beef broth and seasonings. But I guess then I'd be back to plain ol' meatloaf. :LOL:

Stovetop Meatloaf

2 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. (6 oz.)Stovetop Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
A few good dashes Worchestershire sauce
(I added a medium onion, chopped)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix all ingredients.

Shape meat mixture into a loaf and put it in a 13x9 pan. (I used my meatloaf pan. I prefer the grease dripping off it)

Bake 1 hour or until cooked through.

Last edited:
I'd bet this recipe made with homemade stuffing would be better than Stovetop. I don't care for it either.

Now you just have to get your husband over the, "It doesn't taste like my Mother's meatloaf." problem.

Andy M. said:
Now you just have to get your husband over the, "It doesn't taste like my Mother's meatloaf." problem.

I've had to get him over alot of things. Here's her recipe for Coleslaw.

Coleslaw

1 cabbage, chopped
1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cabbage, stir. :sick:

Everything, absolutely everything was swimming in butter (I thought she didn't drain the corn or lima beans, but it was butter) or so sweet that it made my teeth hurt.

Nobody could make desserts like her though. :pig:

My Mom used to sometimes add Bell's to meatloaf, and it was surprisingly good; much better than some of the other things she tried with meatloaf!:sick:

What's Bell's? I've never heard of that.

Coleslaw

1 cabbage, chopped
1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cabbage, stir. :sick:
I may be wrong. I think there was some Miracle Whip in there, too. Double :sick: .

Last edited:
Half Baked said:
What's Bell's? I've never heard of that.

I may be wrong. I think there was some Miracle Whip in there, too. Double :sick: .
It's an herb/spice blend that is a staple in Thanksgiving turkey stuffing. Been around since forever--the box says 1867. It is a blend of rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, marjoram, thyme, and pepper. Although I try to introduce new ideas into Thanksgiving dinner, one of the many things I may not "mess with" is the Bell's in the stuffing. I have to admit, though, it tastes good. The problem, for me, is that I buy a box for Thanksgiving, and never use it again. Next year, I buy a new box, thinking that the old box is probably stale. I think my Grandmother used the same huge box for 20 years . . .

Miracle Whip? :sick::sick::sick:

I'll check out the Bell's.

I have turkey and stuffing all year long because I love the leftovers. We usually have bouillabaise or lobsters for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day...mainly since the kids travel around and don't want 5 dinners of ham and turkey. I can certainly understand that!

Half Baked, it will work with your home-made stuffing/dressing very well. I do this all the time and use my own mixture of white, whole wheat and cornbreads. Use whatever hearbs spices you might want to use. Any of the ones you normally use in a stuffing will do well. I do prefer chicken broth over beef and will sometimes sub half the liquid with evaporated milk to get a richer taste.

The evaporated milk sure would make it a bit richer....thank you for the suggestion. I'll make a note of that on the recipe. :)

Usually use seasoned breadcrumbs in meatloaf.

Like the idea of Bell's seasoning, never thought of it. Would use bread or unseasoned breadcrumbs though.

I wonder what Old Bay would do to it.

You folks frustrates the heck out of us.

There are only the two of us and we are not big eaters and you folks keep giving us such tempting ideas.

So few meals, so many ideas.

What to do, what to do.

But keep the ideas coming, somehow I will learn to deal with the situation.

lol

Ok, I read the topic of the thread, and am I the only one that thought HB was making a meatloaf on her stovetop? :LOL:

You wern't alone Amber....I do think it sounds good..at this time in my life anything quick sounds good !Dove

I always use crushed soda crackers in my meatloaf, but the Stovetop sounds good for a change. I guess we are rather plebian, but we like it in certain recipes.

Dove said:
I Googled it..can it be purchased in gricery stores? Maybe Trader Joes..

You can buy Stovetop stuffing absolutely everywhere. It's very common...or are you speaking of Bell's?

LOL, when I read the email subject I thought it was fried meatloaves, too! :ROFLMAO:

Instead of crushed crackers, bread crumbs or oatmeal, I sometimes use crushed tortilla chips and, then, instead of tomato sauce or tomato juice for some of the liquid I use salsa to give my meatloaf a Tex-Mex flavor.

I made a stuffed meatloaf roulade a few times. First I rolled the meatloaf into a 9x11 rectangle, then covered it with my turkey stuffing. Rolled it up from the short end and put it in my meatloaf pan (like a breadpan with holes in it that sits in another breadpan, so the grease drips off).

It was so pretty when it was sliced.

I was asking about Bell's.The first thing my son cooked for his then girlfriend (now wife of 25 years) was a rolled meat loaf with ham and broccoli. she must have been impressed..Lol

Bell's seasoning should be available in every supermarket. It's more out in the open around Thanksgiving. You may have to ask the manager if they have it.

Back
Top Bottom