Stroganoff - Do you prefer red wine or white to prepare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Whew, has been a while since I've been 'round! ;)

Do you prefer to prepare your beef stroganoff with red or white wine? I have seen recipes call for both, and have never made it before. Personally I am leaning more towards white... as I do not drink red, and hey, I can't see a bottle of wine go to waste!!!!!

What is your favorite stroganoff recipe?

Are you asking what to put IN the stroganoff, or what to drink with it?

Beef stroganoff is a tough wine pairing. On the one hand, it's a beef dish and red wines tend to go better with beef. But on the other hand, it has a cream sauce, which favors white wines.

Personally, I would go with a dry white. Alsatian Riesling would be a good choice, as would French Sancerre or White Burgundy (both Chardonnay), or even Vouvray (Chenin Blanc).

You could also pair it with a dry Rosé. Again, anything French would work better as American Rosé wines lean more toward the sweet side.

My recipe has no wine in it. You may want to check a rcent thread where we argued over what stroganov should be.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard 2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C mushrooms, sliced thin 4 C Onions, sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles (one pound) or rice (2 cups).

Andy, would I be able to substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream? It's what I have in the fridge!

Steve, I meant to prepare the dish - and hopefully drink the rest of the bottle while cooking :) Teehee!

Saphellae, I have used white wine to deglaze my pan after sautéing the beef, I have also been know to use white wine and stock to simmer tougher cuts of beef that are then used in stroganoff. I don't see why you couldn't use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, but understand that the flavor will be different from a classic stroganoff. :)

Last edited:
I use dry vermouth...

I keep a bottle in the fridge for (ahem) just cooking purposes..

Eric, Austin Tx.
I was going to do that, but then I discovered that I really like dry vermouth and that, at least here in Quebec, it's cheaper than a good bottle of wine. It's just a bit more expensive than decent box wine. I find it on my liquor store shopping list quite frequently. ;)

Very hand stuff, since it doesn't go off, when open, for quite a while. Julia Child used it a lot instead of regular wine. It already has some herbs in it.

I sometimes use burgundy. I like burgundy to add to beef dishes.

It's delicious. I got it from a cookbook I read in the local library 20 years ago. Sadly, SO doesn't like sour cream gravies so I don't make it much anymore.
I never put prepared mustard in mine. But I love it added to swedish meatballs and the gravy. I always look at the 2 recipes as cousins LOL I will have to add so mustard to my strog next time.

I never put prepared mustard in mine. But I love it added to swedish meatballs and the gravy. I always look at the 2 recipes as cousins LOL I will have to add so mustard to my strog next time.

The recipe I posted calls for POWDERED mustard. I use Coleman's.

Back
Top Bottom