Swedish Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There should be absolutely no problem with making up something like meatballs and then freezing them without cooking them first. If they are made fairly small, they could even go straight from the freezer to the oven without thawing, although I would probably thaw them first if they were larger than about 1 inch (2.5 cm).

I like to put a slight sear on meatballs anyway before they go into any sauce or gravy. In that case, thawing is pretty much mandatory.

I prefer mine browned on the stove, not boiled because then it danish meatballs and not oven baked because that never looks nice.

I bake mine because I hate getting spattered by hot fat and I don't have to babysit them on the stove. I'm more interested in how they taste than how they look, although the deep brown crust is pretty yummy looking :yum:

But that is the thing, I like the brown crust on them, it yummy and Swedish meatballs are small and you can brown them off quickly and finish them in the oven, it doesnt take that long.

But that is the thing, I like the brown crust on them, it yummy and Swedish meatballs are small and you can brown them off quickly and finish them in the oven, it doesnt take that long.

I've made many kinds of meatballs, including Swedish, many times. It takes long enough that I don't want to do it anymore. YMMV (your mileage may vary), of course :)

I'm with you. Nicely browned for the added flavor. :yum:

When I make meatballs, I make enough to fill a sheet pan. I don't see the point of browning them in a skillet on the stove and then transferring them to another pan (I couldn't fit all that I'm making into one skillet) and putting it in the oven to finish when I can just bake them in the oven to begin with. They get beautifully browned and a little crispy on the bottom where they caramelize. So yummy and much easier.

Depending on what I'm making, I sometimes brown them in a skillet then finish by simmering in the sauce. :)

I brown them in the oven, then finish by simmering in the sauce, making sure to scrape the fond from the sheet pan into the sauce :yum:

I'm going to have to make meatballs tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have ground beef and pork in the freezer.

And remember these are not sized like a golf ball or a fist, it smaller, much smaller balls.

Everything is smaller in Sweden. ;)

When I make meatballs, I make enough to fill a sheet pan. I don't see the point of browning them in a skillet on the stove and then transferring them to another pan (I couldn't fit all that I'm making into one skillet) and putting it in the oven to finish when I can just bake them in the oven to begin with. They get beautifully browned and a little crispy on the bottom where they caramelize. So yummy and much easier.

I brown them in the oven, then finish by simmering in the sauce, making sure to scrape the fond from the sheet pan into the sauce :yum:

I'm going to have to make meatballs tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have ground beef and pork in the freezer.

Fried my meatballs for years and never could get them brown on the sides. Now I use a small fisher to form on sheet pans. In the oven on convection roast 350F like 10 minutes. No turning. No splatter burns. Browned ALL over. Yummy.

All this meatball talk has me also wanting to make Italian meatballs and sauce.

I do make small Swedish meatballs and pan fry them because I don't make a big batch.

The secret to brown meatballs is rocking the pan, they should roll in the pan and then you get them evenly brown.

This thread got me curious to see how many different versions of meatballs there are. I gave up when I got to Ukraine, crossed the Black Sea and got to Azerbaijan! And that was just going east, never mind north to south, east to west........mind blowing, all that choice

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

This thread got me curious to see how many different versions of meatballs there are. I gave up when I got to Ukraine, crossed the Black Sea and got to Azerbaijan! And that was just going east, never mind north to south, east to west........mind blowing, all that choice.

I :heart: meatballs. I saved this some time ago. Haven't made them all yet. Hey - a page for my bullet journal! ;)

Planet Meatball: 20 Meatball Varieties Around the World

Oh My! :ohmy: ANOTHER link in my favourites bar... :ermm:

Ever since I finally learned how to make meatballs that don't crack a plate or your teeth with their density - has almost become my mostest favouritest meat style.

Swedish meatballs is also know in space. ;) Remember Babylon 5 and the narns.

Back
Top Bottom