Swedish Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, Gotgarlic, your research piece is inspirational! And that is not to cast aspersions on CakePoet's recipe, which is also fascinating, and which I shall certainly make. I love this newsgroup. You all really know your stuff, so that anyone who visits you will always be able to rely on the right information!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Well this is the Swedish military recipe, at least the one they used in the 1990.

Here's a Swedish Meatball:

swedish-man-viking.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I bake mine because I hate getting spattered by hot fat and I don't have to babysit them on the stove. I'm more interested in how they taste than how they look, although the deep brown crust is pretty yummy looking :yum:

GG, I have been baking mine for years. I don't remember the reason, but one time I sprayed them on the cookie sheet with Pam before baking them. I got that crust on just one side. I was surprised at that. So the next time I baked them I generously sprayed the pan also and when placing the meatballs, I rolled them a bit in the spray. But I still sprayed the top before putting them in the oven. I got a crust on both the bottom and top. :angel:

When I make meatballs, I make enough to fill a sheet pan. I don't see the point of browning them in a skillet on the stove and then transferring them to another pan (I couldn't fit all that I'm making into one skillet) and putting it in the oven to finish when I can just bake them in the oven to begin with. They get beautifully browned and a little crispy on the bottom where they caramelize. So yummy and much easier.

The secret to brown meatballs is rocking the pan, they should roll in the pan and then you get them evenly brown.

GG, I have been baking mine for years. I don't remember the reason, but one time I sprayed them on the cookie sheet with Pam before baking them. I got that crust on just one side. I was surprised at that. So the next time I baked them I generously sprayed the pan also and when placing the meatballs, I rolled them a bit in the spray. But I still sprayed the top before putting them in the oven. I got a crust on both the bottom and top. :angel:

I do it both ways and find the roasting method to be the easiest.
I have had trouble with browning though. Bottoms only would brown. I do not have a convection oven.
Never really gave it much thought until I realized (just now) when I make homemade pizzas, (flatbread, sauce and cheese) that to get it to brown up, I needed to move the rack up high in the oven and crank the temp to 450-500F.

Maybe I do this with the meatballs! Might have solved my own meatball issues! :LOL:

Oh....Parchment or no parchment?

I do it both ways and find the roasting method to be the easiest.
I have had trouble with browning though. Bottoms only would brown. I do not have a convection oven.
Never really gave it much thought until I realized (just now) when I make homemade pizzas, (flatbread, sauce and cheese) that to get it to brown up, I needed to move the rack up high in the oven and crank the temp to 450-500F.

I had pizza in a private home in northern Italy. Alberto has a wood fired oven on his deck. It gets to around 700° F, so 450° to 500° is barely a start to "properly" cook a pizza. He would slide a pie in the oven, then cook 90 seconds, rotate 180°, 90 seconds more and done. That was some of the best pizza ever... of course the setting may have helped - a mixed crowd of 12 or so, including Italian, Dutch, British, and American (my wife and I) guests. Good local wines, fresh veggies from their garden for the toppings, fresh fruit salad from the trees in their yard. It was a great day. :cool:

700° might be a bit much for meatballs though. :wacko:

Last edited:
I once used a cookie rack to bake the meatballs. I was thinking that they would brown all around better... well, they did. But it took me FOREVER to clean the bloody rack... NEVER again!!!

I once used a cookie rack to bake the meatballs. I was thinking that they would brown all around better... well, they did. But it took me FOREVER to clean the bloody rack... NEVER again!!!

You know they make racks for meatballs, kind of similar to a chicken rack. Nonstick and all that. I understand about the cookie rack, though you could try spraying it with Pam before hand. You could also pick up a silicon rack like Kayelle found (and I bought one too). They are little pyramids. It's dishwasher safe and if you don't have a dishwasher, just put it upside down in something large enough to submerge it in, let it soak for a while and nearly all the gunk just sort of floats off, and the rest comes off easily with a scrub sponge.

I am a soaker. Soaking is my friend and I use it often. Place the half sheet pan/cookie sheet in your sink. Place the rack upside down (feet up) in the pan and fill it with hot soapy water. Come back in the morning and it's really easy to clean.

I am a soaker. Soaking is my friend and I use it often. Place the half sheet pan/cookie sheet in your sink. Place the rack upside down (feet up) in the pan and fill it with hot soapy water. Come back in the morning and it's really easy to clean.

My sister always called this "giving the dishes and pans first aid." :angel:

Simple cream gravy:
1 beef bullion cube
300 ml water
200 ml cream
1- 2 teaspoon sauce
1 tablespoon flour
salt, pepper.

I tend to whisk the frying pan with the water, strain off the bits and add to a pot, then whisk cream and flour smooth and add that, add the cube and whisk and taste , add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk and simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until thicken.

Ive heard of making a sour cream gravy for Swedish meatballs. Have you tried that?

Yes, but that isnt from the area I come from, I have had it when I was younger.

Back
Top Bottom