Swedish Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
Swedish Meatballs. 10 servings

1 kilo ground beef or 300 gram pork and 700 gram beef or 50/50 pork and beef or just pork.

300 gram of boiled riced or finely grated potatoes

250- 300 ml cream or milk or water

3/4 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon allspice or white pepper or black pepper or a mix of all three

50 ml of finely grated or finely chopped onions

3 medium size eggs

In a large bowl add salt and pepper to the meat, work quickly in the eggs, onion and potatoes.

Add the liquid of choice and work the meat until it is smooth and easy to roll into a ball. It shouldn't be too hard nor to soft.

Heat up a frying pan and add butter or margarine. Roll one ball, flatten and fry, taste. Season more if needed.

Turn of the frying pan and now start the fun task of rolling a lot of meatballs.

You need about 20 grams for dinner meatballs and buffet style is 15 grams

To make it easier to roll, in a bowl add cold water and 1 teaspoon of oil, dip you hand in this before rolling and the meat wont stick to your hand.

Roll into a ball and leave on a rinsed cutting board.

Heat a the frying pan up and melt knob of butter. Add about 20- 30 meatballs depending on the size of your frying pan. Rock back and forth to make sure they stay round. Fry until done this will take about 10 minutes.

The cheating way of making a lot of meat balls is this, You can brown them in the pan and then cook until done in the oven ( 175C for 10 minutes).

That is what I do for Christmas, we brown and add to oven pan and when it full we bake them. This is easier done by two people then one.

The pure beef one needs cream to hold, most people here makes with mixed mince which is pork and beef and some just love them with pork.
The pepper choice is a family thing, most have allspice at Christmas and white or black for dinner ones.

Oh and when you got tired of rolling them, you can do patties and call it pannbiff and serve with with fried onions and potato mash and gravy or make a meatloaf, we used the same mix for all three.

not far from my mom's we would get frozen homemade "Swedish Meatballs". They were divine! I've tried to copy that recipe to no avail. I realize she was using Campbell's Mushroom Soup as the main sauce and I've been trying to get away from the cans. I also know that hers and many other recipes use nutmeg. But I just can't get it.

Hoping your sauce is the one I'm looking for!!! please please please? because I'm gonna try those delicious looking meatballs very soon! Thank You!

also - do you ever freeze them? and if so - I'm guessing uncooked? and 2nd, if yes - do you defrost or cook them from frozen.

If you get an ice cream scoop in the size you want your finished meatball, it makes the portioning and subsequent shaping go by MUCH faster.

Thank you, CakePoet - looks and sounds fabulous! :yum: I love Swedish meatballs. I made a batch last year, and think the allspice really kicks them up a notch.

Do you need the sauce recipe too?

Um, of course!

I'll even trade you.. for when I have meatballs made

Sweet / Sour meatballs

2 1/4 cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp sirracha, or other hot sauce
4 tbsp or a bunch of sliced green onions (for garnish can be omitted)
1 1/2 cups rice
25 or so meatballs

Combine first seven ingredients to a simmer, but not boil. Stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Slowly add meatballs, stirring.

Prepare rice in the usual fashion, and serve over, the green onions use as a garnish.

Last edited:
Simple cream gravy:
1 beef bullion cube
300 ml water
200 ml cream
1- 2 teaspoon sauce
1 tablespoon flour
salt, pepper.

I tend to whisk the frying pan with the water, strain off the bits and add to a pot, then whisk cream and flour smooth and add that, add the cube and whisk and taste , add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk and simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until thicken.

Well dont forget Lingon jam or Cranberry sauce to serve with the meatballs, potatoes and gravy and pickles.

not far from my mom's we would get frozen homemade "Swedish Meatballs". They were divine! I've tried to copy that recipe to no avail. I realize she was using Campbell's Mushroom Soup as the main sauce and I've been trying to get away from the cans. I also know that hers and many other recipes use nutmeg. But I just can't get it.

Hoping your sauce is the one I'm looking for!!! please please please? because I'm gonna try those delicious looking meatballs very soon! Thank You!

also - do you ever freeze them? and if so - I'm guessing uncooked? and 2nd, if yes - do you defrost or cook them from frozen.

We freeze them cooked because I been always told that way is food safe.

Thanks guys...

I usually experiment and freeze some uncooked and some cooked - then see which ones are both more convenient and tasty.

Oftimes it is hard to tell which is the better way! :rolleyes:

But I like to know how others do as sometimes their reasons make for an easy decision. :LOL: the lazy man's way!

But no freezer kills off all bacteria and this is what I have been told during the food safety class I took.

But no freezer kills off all bacteria and this is what I have been told during the food safety class I took.

Freezing prevents bacteria from growing. There has to be a certain amount of bacteria, or toxins as a byproduct of reproduction, in a food for it to be unsafe. The bacteria start growing again after thawing; improper handling at that point can also make it unsafe.

Raw food can be frozen for years and it will still be safe to eat, as long as it was in good condition before being frozen and it's properly thawed, cooked, cooled and stored.

I also took food safety class, and have a ServSafe Food Handler's Certificate good till September 2017. And I recently had a refresher for another class I'm taking.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have made my self clearer, I am just trying to keep a four year old with cold happy. Mine goes out this year, they say here that pre made food, in a none commercial kitchen environment should be cooked fully, before freezing. How ever if it single ingredient like raspberries, meat or fish, it can be frozen before cooking.

it just when you start adding eggs flour and sum such to meat you should cook it. Remember also we are in two different countries, our laws on food safety will vary.

Back
Top Bottom