Sweet and Sour Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Original recipe follows (source unknown). I use EVOO instead of butter, and cut up onion instead of the boiling onions. I think I might try subbing BBQ sauce for some of the catsup next time.

[FONT=&quot]1 lb. stew meat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp. flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 Tbsp. butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 small white boiling onions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 carrots, cut in 1" pieces[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup catsup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp. brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 tsp. worcestershire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup water[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]egg noodles (cooked)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- dredge meat in flour, brown in butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- combine catsup, sugar, vinegar, worcestershire, water, add to meat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- add onions, carrots, simmer (covered) for 2 hours[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- serve over egg noodles, sprinkle with parsley[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (serves 2)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]...

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup catsup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp. brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 tsp. worcestershire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup water[/FONT]

These ingredients make BBQ sauce. So if you like, eliminate these ingredients and add a cup or so of BBQ sauce.

True, Andy, but I think 10speed is making a more sweet/ sour flavor. Thus why he says maybe add Some bbq sauce to replace part of the catsup. I find catsup too sweet anyway, even when I buy Heinz's organic or no HFCS kind. Yes, the recipe calls for more brown sugar but it's not the same sugar-y taste in catsup. I think I'd have to add a squirt of lemon juice if I wanted to up the sour component.

Otherwise, I think this is a pretty easy sauce to put together.

These ingredients make BBQ sauce. So if you like, eliminate these ingredients and add a cup or so of BBQ sauce.
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to BBQ sauce, as I don't use it very often and never made it. If I outsourced the sauce to Sweet Baby Ray, how much different would it be from this recipe? I was under the impression that the commercial BBQ sauces had a bunch of other stuff in it. This sauce is relatively "clean", and I wouldn't want to change it drastically.

I wouldn't mess with success either.

Nice recipe, Tenspeed, thanks!

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to BBQ sauce, as I don't use it very often and never made it. If I outsourced the sauce to Sweet Baby Ray, how much different would it be from this recipe? I was under the impression that the commercial BBQ sauces had a bunch of other stuff in it. This sauce is relatively "clean", and I wouldn't want to change it drastically.

The ingredients listed are for a basic BBQ sauce. No way of telling how close it is to Sweet Baby Ray's. Stick with the recipe you like.

Back
Top Bottom