Sweet and Sour Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I worked out this recipe and made it for supper last night, and it was excellent. You could add a few red pepper flakes to the sauce if you wish. My meatballs were made with some hot venison sausage HB & I made last fall, so we didn't need it.

SWEET & SOUR MEATBALLS (Main Dish)

Ingredients:
Pre-made meatballs (from freezer section or your own)
1/3 cup large diced sweet onion
handful diced green onions
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup large diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup large diced red bell pepper
1 can pineapple, drained, juice reserved
SAUCE:
Reserved juice from pineapple +canned pineapple juice to make 2 cups
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup catsup
6 tbls corn starch
2 tbls crushed garlic (or jarred minced)
1 tbl grated ginger (or jarred minced)
2 tbls soy sauce

FOR SAUCE: In a large saucepan, mix all ingredients together except corn starch. Mix corn starch with a little water to make a slurry and stir in. Cook over medium heat, stirring now and then, until mixture is thick.

Cook meatballs in oven, skillet or microwave until cooked through. Place meatballs and vegetables in a casserole and pour sauce over. Bake at 300 degrees until veggies are tender. Serve over rice.

meatballs

Whenever I made meatballs, they usually wind up falling apart. Is there some secret to fixing them and how would someone bake t hem in oven? How long? Maybe I am just too impatient?

In the Kitchen said:
Whenever I made meatballs, they usually wind up falling apart. Is there some secret to fixing them and how would someone bake t hem in oven? How long? Maybe I am just too impatient?
I find that some sort of binder is definately needed to keep them together, (one of these or a combo of them is helpful) bread crumbs, eggs/egg whites/egg yolks, cheese and some types of dried soup mix.

My oven is messed up on whole new levels (lol), so the temp is way off, but I recently made Italian pork meatballs which I baked in the oven at about 200 degrees for perhaps 20-30 minutes (sorry, I usually just wing stuff and check the oven every so often, no less than 20 minutes though). If you're not sure about doneness just slide one off the baking tray (I used a foil lined cookie sheet, which was uncovered during cooking), cut it in half and check the colour - this is one place where I don't want to see pink, especially with ground (minced) pork. I also aim for a nice golden brown colour on the outside...If you're not getting that, increase the temp for a couple of minutes or pop them under the broiler for just a flash.

Great recipe Constance, it really reminds me of a similar one that was a childhood staple :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom