"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Master Chef

I can't imagine swiss steak without tomatoes, I guess I have McC's to thank for that. I guess I have always assumed that swiss steak was not swiss without the maters even though I have seen recipes to the contrary. I would love to see the recipe myself Barbara.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just brown the meat in a little olive oil (sometimes I dredge it in flour first, sometimes I don't). When it is browned on both sides, I add water, chopped onion, mushrooms, and minced garlic. I cover it tightly and simmer until the meat is tender. Then I make the gravy. Very simple, and nothing really special, but I love it.

Barbara

Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Alton Brown's recipe is very good start .... I changed his just ever so slightly to make it like my Dad's, which is STILL better, he uses Joy of Cooking
(but it's not in the new edition!!! CRAZINESS I tell you!)
I use onion, garlic, celery, carrot, a can of diced tomato, worcestershire..... serve over mashed potatoes.
anyway, here's Alton's....

Swiss Steak Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

In my area this cooking method --- brown the meat -- braise in a "gravy" is very common/popular. Tenderized top or bottom round, as well as chicken (fricassee) pork chops, pork neck bones etc, and various game animals are used...Mostly Sans tomatoes, but depending on the cook ---In some circles the process is referred to as "gravy down" --- As in "I'm gonna 'gravy down" some pork chops for supper tonight". Within the past week I have had (southern) Chicken fricassee, and "gravy downed" pork chops just last night....Served with rice/potatoes and buttermilk biscuits any version is 'stick to your ribs' good stuff!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Head Chef

I dredge in flour, brown in oil, add sliced onions, garlic, salt, pepper, mushrooms and/or green peppers if available, chicken stock, and tomato sauce or tomato paste.

Cover and simmer til tender.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by heb1976 View Post
Well I added the green peppers for more flavor. I kinda of reminded me of Chicken Caccatore (however that is spelled) - but bland because of the meat. I may have to try a packet of seasoning - something was missing for sure.
Right before you return the steak to the pot you could add 1/2 cup or so of white wine.

Season every step of the way: Steak, onions, tomato sauce. Then check for a final seasoning near the end of the cooking time.

Kosher or Sea Salt works best. Just don't be afraid of it, a light dusting of salt and fresh ground pepper will wake up anything.

It looks like some fat pooling on the top, you could skim that off too.

Looks great.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
Head Chef

A little red wine is good too! I forgot to mention that.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Head Chef

My mom always added paprika.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
My mom always added paprika.
Sounds like an interesting addition, how much? I know when I have had it, it was made with mushrooms, onions, and a brown gravy which struck me as very similar to Salisbury Steak...

Tags
None