"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

When I was 15, I worked with a butcher in a grocery store. He asked me if I knew how to determine what is a good piece of beef liver. I answered no. He took a slice he had just cut and threw it up so the flat part hit the ceiling and stuck. He said if the slice stays stuck for 5 minutes, it is a good piece of liver.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #12
Executive Chef

but make sure it doesn't get stuck on the spaghetti you threw up there yesterday.

Tomorrow throw up an egg and when it all finally comes down you will have

.... delivered spaghetti carbonara.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

Here's how I make my liver & onions and it comes out just the way my father likes it, and he's been eating liver and onions for most of his 94 years:

1. Soak the liver in either milk or buttermilk for anywhere from 1 and 4 hours. This takes the gamey flavor out of the liver.

2. Saute sliced brown onions in 4 Tbs of light olive oil to infuse the oil. Remove onions from pan (I can't eat onions. They give me agita!)

3. Remove liver from milk and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge liver slices in seasoned flour.

4. Saute liver slices in the onion infused oil until just cooked through. Plate the liver and distribute the fried onions evenly over the liver slices.

5. Serve with southern style beans and greens.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Here's how I make my liver & onions and it comes out just the way my father likes it, and he's been eating liver and onions for most of his 94 years:

1. Soak the liver in either milk or buttermilk for anywhere from 1 and 4 hours. This takes the gamey flavor out of the liver.

2. Saute sliced brown onions in 4 Tbs of light olive oil to infuse the oil. Remove onions from pan (I can't eat onions. They give me agita!)

3. Remove liver from milk and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge liver slices in seasoned flour.

4. Saute liver slices in the onion infused oil until just cooked through. Plate the liver and distribute the fried onions evenly over the liver slices.

You can send the onions to me. One time I sautéed five pounds of onions in olive oil and ate the whole thing.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, these days I can imagine it's cut mechanically, although I'm sure it must be frozen before it can be done. My memory is of my Dad and his extraordinary mechanical knife skills at his butcher block. Mind pictures are wonderful treasures to be sure, the old rotary fan above his head, the fresh sawdust on the floor, and him in his white apron.
Yes, I'm certain it's cut frozen. The slices are too perfect. And when you thaw them out, they easily fall apart. Especially calves liver.
That's why I thaw them only enough to separate them. Then season, flour and fry as you do. In bacon grease with fried onions.
I am now starving for some liver and onions!

Quote:
I like mashed potato's and green beans.
Oh.....Prilosec or Nexium with allow you to eat all the onions you want.
It allows me to eat anything I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You can send the onions to me. One time I sautéed five pounds of onions in olive oil and ate the whole thing.
I love onions. Raw or cooked. LOVE them!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't forget the bacon with those onions!! Bacon with liver is mandatory for me.

When my kids were growing up, they wouldn't eat liver, probably because their Dad wouldn't. I cooked it anyway and would do three cube steaks for them instead of the liver for me. After several times, my kids were curious and gave a bite of liver a try. Now they both love liver as adults, although I never converted their Dad.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Oh.....Prilosec or Nexium with allow you to eat all the onions you want.
No way Jose. I take one 15mg Prevacid capsule every day and I still can't eat onions. If I eat something with onions for lunch, I sleep sitting up in my recliner that night.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No way Jose. I take one 15mg Prevacid capsule every day and I still can't eat onions. If I eat something with onions for lunch, I sleep sitting up in my recliner that night.
The only onions I can eat are the white ones. The brown ones get me every time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Have you discussed this with your doctor?
Is it just onions or do other foods bother you?
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here's a site listing the symptoms of onion intolerance:
Onion Allergy: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

Caslon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None