Tenderizing calf's liver before frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My local supermarkets haven't been stocking fresh Foster Farms calf's liver lately. I bought some frozen calf's liver that actually thaws out looking OK. It fries up okay too, but is a little bit chewy in areas. Will soaking it in milk help? BTW, I like my calf's liver really fried to almost black. It seems to tone down the liver taste a little. Smothered in caramelized onions and squeezed mustard on top, of course.

How do you expect it not to be chew if you just burned the darn thing into obliteration? ;):)
I understand taste concerns, but liver should only be lightly fried so it is still pink inside, especially calf liver.
One thing I may suggest, instead of frying, slice thinly and saute in sour cream.

Last edited:
Calf's liver is thinner than cows liver, so I'll restrain myself over frying it. Cows liver on the otherhand is much thicker to begin with and can withstand a good frying without it getting chewy (my experience). Cows liver I will try soaking in milk because it's thickness means it's going to have more liver flavor than I like.

Calf's liver is thinner than cows liver, so I'll restrain myself over frying it. Cows liver on the otherhand is much thicker to begin with and can withstand a good frying without it getting chewy (my experience). Cows liver I will try soaking in milk because it's thickness means it's going to have more liver flavor than I like.

Caslon, as I pointed out on an earlier post...all beef liver is sliced before you buy it!! The thickness of both depends on who is doing the slicing, not if it's from a calf or a mature cow.

Caslon, as I pointed out on an earlier post...all beef liver is sliced before you buy it!! The thickness of both depends on who is doing the slicing, not if it's from a calf or a mature cow.

Ah, okay. I could only get frozen calf's liver lately and the package is quite thin. I'm still looking to see if Albertsons, Vons, and Ralph's in my area will restock Foster Farms containers of fresh liver. They still stock fresh FF's chicken livers, not calf or beef liver as of late.

Last edited:
Caslon, I can't imagine Foster Farms ever selling anything but chicken livers, and I couldn't find anything about FF beef liver on line. You must be mistaken about the brand of beef liver.

Caslon, I can't imagine Foster Farms ever selling anything but chicken livers, and I couldn't find anything about FF beef liver on line. You must be mistaken about the brand of beef liver.

It came in a plastic tub that looked like FF, alright already. :rolleyes:

Fresh is better than frozen, which is all I see now. True about how it's sliced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom