"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Half Baked

I can't tell you how many times I have seen "Porterhouses" with the tenderloin gone or almost gone. I get mad!

I also like chateaubriand which I have prepered from the large end of the tenderloin after you cut the steaks .(standing up and pounded flatter) I have also had it from the sirloin which is more classic.Both are great.

I agree the filet mignon is cut from the smaller end portion of the tenderloin.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Backstrap usually refers to loin not tenderloin, though the actual backstrap is a nerve and one would not want to eat that.
well yeah, on smaller animals the term backstrap is used, and the muscles smaller, more combined.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Porterhouse is my favorite steak too! I like strip steaks because there isn't so much work to separate the fat, and who doesn't love that big chunk of filet on the other side.

If your steak doesn't have a good sized piece of fillet on one side then it isn't a porterhouse, it is just a T-bone. Porterhouse are cut first and as they go down the piece then they turn into just T-bone steaks, when the filet gets small.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Son #1 every so often will stop at The Hilltop House and pick me up a really thick Porterhouse Steak when it is on sale. I can never eat the whole thing. Although I do give it the old college try. So once again, Teddy gets to eat better than the two of us. He gets the leftovers. Plus the bone to gnaw on. I suppose I could try to share it with my son. To heck with him. Let him get his own.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sometimes the difference in names of cuts from the tenderloin is nothing more than marketing. I've seen Filet Mignon, Wellington, and Chateaubriand side by side in the meat counter, all at different prices.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I think of Chateaubriand and Wellington more as recipes than as any kind of meat cut.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Head Chef

So do I but Costco, at least, seems to have found a market for the differing cuts.

They may be labelled "Beef for", I don't buy them, so I don't remember. It occurs around Christmas and News Years.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I think of Chateaubriand more as a specific way of serving two with a filet mignon recipe, but evidently Wikipedia disagrees: Chateaubriand steak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wellington however is a tenderloin type of recipe served en croute (in a crust) and is most certainly a way or means of cooking a specific recipe. You may need a specific cut for Wellington but there is IMO no Wellington cut that will allow you to buy that and cook it and end up with Beef Wellington.

I know for sure. Wellington is one of my long term cooking projects. I've cooked it but so far nothing worthy of publishing.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

greg, gordon ramsay considers beef wellington one of the most technically difficult things to cook. i've seen him say as much on several cooking shows.

i've never even attempted it because i'm pretty sure it would suck if i tried, and it's a pricey mistake.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

TYVM BT. I've cooked some fairly good Wellingtons but so far I have not cooked any that were IMO worthy of my publishing on my own. I'll agree it is a challenge on several levels.

I have some unique ideas that I'd rather work on than jump the gun at this time, but maybe you don't need the most pricey cuts. Maybe you could have even some other form of filling, maybe even some ground meat. Oops I said too much.

I have cooked it several times with a filet mignon basis, results very good but so far none worth publishing. You can Google at least as good as I've cooked, and if you're willing to take all the laborious steps.

Tags
None