Tenderloin vs Filet Mignon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 I like mine that way as well--almost still walking when it hits the plate--friends tease me that a good vet could resuscitate mine! I have noticed that the filet mignon that I got the last time I got a side of beef wasn't quite as sweet as it used to be when the meat could age 21 days instead of 14 (Ontario law--changed aging time from 21 to 14 days).
I've been told, "Quick get the vet. I think we can save it."

I've been told, "Quick get the vet. I think we can save it."

At our usual Outback I tell them how I want my steak cooked (4 seconds per side) and the server always asks "So, you want it rare?". Usually after explaining it again they come back out and ask if I am Frank, cause there is a note next to the grill.

Other places I have told them I don't want it rare, I want it so a good vet could save it.

I had a bit of a disagreement in Toronto once. I ordered it blue rare (and described what I was looking for in detail), they brought me medium rare. I told them it was overcooked, he said "its bleeding, its rare". I told him if it was warm enough to bleed it was overcooked. We did not part friends, but that might be cause I am an arrogant American that wanted an expensive steak my way. :ermm:

That's pretty much beef sashimi with a sear, right? :)

I'm somewhat leery of eating beef with such little cooking. I'll appreciate advice finding any advice on where to buy a steak intended to be eaten with that little cooking, and how to select the steak or what to look for. I wouldn't particularly trust our local Albertson's and Ralphs supermarkets to have beef healthy enough to eat almost raw.

I presume filet mignon would be the correct cut for that?

Back
Top Bottom