"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Tenderloin vs Filet Mignon?

Just started working at a new restaurant (unfortunately I'm still working at red lobster too), and 7 different cuts of steak, but one is a "tenderloin" and the other is "Filet Mignon". Aren't those the same thing?? One is a 6oz and one is an 8oz, so maybe they just wanted to have a slightly less expensive version of the same thing, but if thats the case, why not just say 6oz, and 8oz to make it less confusing? I could just ask them when I go back tomorrow, but I'm curious now, and I thought a little steak discussion might be fun :)

Just to make it more fun, some of the other choices are a 12 oz New York Strip, 12 oz Ribeye, and the big boy, a 22 oz porterhouse. Disregarding price, which one would you choose, and why?

I would choose the big porterhouse! I like that the fat is mostly on the outside, so it can be easily cut off, and doesn't get in my mouth, and I love getting the big loin piece, and also the surrounding meat to add a little different texture and variety. Yum!! Anyone know what the meat surrounding the loin piece is, technically?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

A porterhouse is loin (NY Strip) on one side and tenderloin (Filet Mignon) on the other.

They may use tenderloin and Filet Mignon as a marketing thing. Like when a can of tomatoes is 2/$4 when they really are just $2 each.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
A porterhouse is loin (NY Strip) on one side and tenderloin (Filet Mignon) on the other.

They may use tenderloin and Filet Mignon as a marketing thing. Like when a can of tomatoes is 2/$4 when they really are just $2 each.
What's the difference between loin and tenderloin?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Technically speaking, filets mignon are cut from the smaller end of the tenderloin and tenderloin steaks are cut from further up the tenderloin where the meat is thicker. So it makes sense that the tendrloin steaks are bigger than the filets mignon. Most places call all tenderloin steak cuts filet mignon.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If you look at a porterhouse steak, the tenderloin is one side of the bone and the (sir)loin is on the other. The tenderloin is a whole separate piece of meat that's on the inside of the ribs while the sirloin is on the outside.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Head Chef

They are two different cuts of meat. The filet comes from the"back strap", on the outter side of the spine (along each side of the back bone) and the tenderloin comes from lower inside of the spine and is much smaller. Also on each side of the lower backbone.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

not exactly, s&p. andy had it right.

a filet mignon is a cut from the tenderloin, the tenderloin being the whole backstrap.

on a porterhouse, the small piece of meat is tenderloin, the larger piece is either a ny strip of rib eye.

i prefer either a ny strip or rib eye (or prime rib steak).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
not exactly, s&p. andy had it right.

a filet mignon is a cut from the tenderloin, the tenderloin being the whole backstrap.

on a porterhouse, the small piece of meat is tenderloin, the larger piece is either a ny strip of rib eye.

i prefer either a ny strip or rib eye (or prime rib steak).
Bone in rib-eye, the best cut of meat on the carcass, IMHO, especially, the 2nd rib-eye back from the chuck, well marbled, and cooked over blistering hot charcoal, with the lid on, medium rare. But tenderloin is pretty good too.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Backstrap usually refers to loin not tenderloin, though the actual backstrap is a nerve and one would not want to eat that.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i right there with you, brother.

serve it with little salty au jus from the roast, and a little side of grated horseradish, and don't talk to me for the next 20 minutes or so or you might get bit.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None