"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #31
Master Chef

Re: The BEST beef! What's your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbourman
I had my first Wago Beef Cheeseburger yesterday. It was, by far, the best I've eaten. Anyone else ever try Wago? Its a Japanese beef. The restaurant uses the same beef that sells for $75 a steak in New York.

Also, I couldn't find any, .....can anyone find a site online that has information about Wago Beef please?

Thanks!
they have in the store here. not the wagyu, but the kobe. don't know whether to try it or not?
they have lots of sites, just look around and you'll find plenty.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 PM   #32
Sous Chef

The Japanese make great tvs, but I'm not about to pay 75 bucks a pound for a cow that has been rubbed with beer. I'll buy American beef and either drink the beer or rub myself with it. I'll put the local beef I bought today against anything that is out there - 120 mile round trip, but worth it!

Old 09-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
The Japanese make great tvs, but I'm not about to pay 75 bucks a pound for a cow that has been rubbed with beer. I'll buy American beef and either drink the beer or rub myself with it. I'll put the local beef I bought today against anything that is out there - 120 mile round trip, but worth it!
I hear ya :!:
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #34
Sous Chef

While wagyu beef is very good, you have to be careful how you cook it. The super premium price, however, makes this kind of beef less than perfect in my eyes.

If you're ever in NYC, go to Peter Luger Steakhouse where you'll have the best steak ever. They serve a true dry aged prime porterhouse. This is what an All American steak should taste like. The ambience is not exactly Ruth's Chris or Morton's but the food and service makes up for it.

This is a real New York steakhouse experience. The backstory of this restaurant is that it's owned and run by women. Sort of like how the Brennan women run Commander's Palace in New Orleans. At Peter Luger's, the women actually choose the quarters of meat that they will age in their restaurant. They do all the buying at the meat wholesale markets every morning.

Take cash because they don't accept credit cards.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Lobel's of new york sells waygo beef.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
While wagyu beef is very good, you have to be careful how you cook it. The super premium price, however, makes this kind of beef less than perfect in my eyes.

If you're ever in NYC, go to Peter Luger Steakhouse where you'll have the best steak ever. They serve a true dry aged prime porterhouse. This is what an All American steak should taste like. The ambience is not exactly Ruth's Chris or Morton's but the food and service makes up for it.

This is a real New York steakhouse experience. The backstory of this restaurant is that it's owned and run by women. Sort of like how the Brennan women run Commander's Palace in New Orleans. At Peter Luger's, the women actually choose the quarters of meat that they will age in their restaurant. They do all the buying at the meat wholesale markets every morning.

yeah, psiguyy, peter luger's is awesome. i never knew all of that about the place. thanks for the info. i know they were rated as having one of the best burgers in the city "cause they use trimmings from the same meat to make the burgers.

Take cash because they don't accept credit cards.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 AM   #37

I've eaten all sorts of Cdn and US beef in my time, from the absolutely delectable "pick your own steak" at the Cattleman's Restaurant (beside "Billy-Bob's) in Fort Worth to the near inedible corn fed, "anthrax poisoned" corn fed crap offered up in the Maritimes from the USA...

Being borne and raised in the Cdn west, their beef, in fact ROCKS...

Living in southern Ontario, where most of the beef goes down to the States (and so we got treated to a whacking pile of tri-tip roasts at super discount pricing due to the USA embargo on our farmers and ranchers), if you find a butcher that buys the top end, and ages it properly, then, with apologies to westerners, its every bit as good...

The whole system suffers (or sucks!) from the fact that in Canada at least, there are about 64 grades of beef, none of which the average consumer understands, and I expect its not much different in the States.

USDA "probably" only grades what is in fact "edible", as the USA is a market driven economy, that, if its "edible" by grading, there's a ton of smoke and mirrors about the "quality" thing...

In my own opinion, if you want good burgers, you must address both the meat and the cooking method equally...

To address the meat, and wishing to address the Kobe beef position, buy a great steak or three, adjust the fat content if and as required by cooking method, and have them "ground" to order...

Again in my own opinion, the only way to get "superlative" burgers is on a BBQ, with a good deal of mesquite smoke added, indirect cooking and a great deal of patience (ie some cold beer and a radio'd football game or a good book!)

"Structuring" the build of that burger is a matter of taste, which can get pretty regional, as the additives are many and distinguished; what's ideal in Alberta will likely not pass in Texas, even if acceptable in Ontario...a whole different concept...and the condiments we use for our burgers vary widely!

Having meat that is "gauranteed aged" to at least 21 days means eating the good stuff...if you have a ton of money and an honest, compliant butcher, who actually does what you ask, then 28 days of aging will shrink it a lot more but make it that much better...there is a demand for 35 day meat here at the top end of the market that I'd like to try...if I can afford much better than the hamburger meat, of course!

Just don't expect this stuff at $1.85 a pound at A+P or Safeway, Wynn Dixie or whatever, as those guys "age" the meat on the shelf, and buy the cheapest carcasses...

Any of you try buffalo as a meat, to compare with beef? That's an eye opener!
Far better taste, as long as we never tip off the Japanese!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Well don't expect Kobe style beef here any time soon- when my husband was in grad school in animal science the beef farm guys started a research project to feed beer to feeder cattle. WELL when taken out of context by the unknowing public and our elected officials -WHAT COWS FED BEER! - there was an outcry and the project was cited as ridiculus and what is wrong with state run universities and dropped for being a waste of academic dollars. Little did they know the real economic impact it could have made to the US beef industry and to our stomachs. I was in school for 8 years and have seen way more wastes of research dollars than that. Just a sidebar. Alas I have never had Kobe beef either but will jump at the chance.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Just got back from Canada...no contest. Canadian Beef is superior to American Beef.

However the wine has a long ways to go. Pretty good though.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

just had some aussie beef, filet mignons to be exact. they were awesome!!!!!! they're supposedly grass fed, range raised. all i know is they were deelish,. very tender, nice flavor. fil mig is one of the only cuts of steak i won't mess with. no spices or sauces, just a little pepper and salt, so the real beef taste is the experience. these were some of the best i've ever had.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None