"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
The BEST cut for Beef Roast?

What is the best cut for a Beef Roast??

The inlaws are coming for supper tonight and for a change iwould like to cook a succulent roast. I have a freezer full of roasts...deer, elk, pork, and I believe some beef too, but I want something better! Any help would be great....thanks

Old 11-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

my fav is a bone-in rib roast, done medium rare, with a side of fresh horseradish and a baked tater, and steamed brocolli, if you are looking for a little more fancy.

top or bottom round roast for pot roast if you want a more homey, comfortable meal, with mashed taters and peas.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm with Bucky - you can't beat a rib roast!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
my fav is a bone-in rib roast, done medium rare, with a side of fresh horseradish and a baked tater, and steamed brocolli, if you are looking for a little more fancy.

top or bottom round roast for pot roast if you want a more homey, comfortable meal, with mashed taters and peas.
Man, am I ever with you on that! My absolute favorite is tenderloin, cooked rare and so tender it practically melts in your mouth...with lots of fresh grated horseradish on the side.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
mmmm....We made horse radish this year and is it EVER the best. The last time we made it it took three years to get to almost the potency of this years!!! SO a rib roast huhh? K I will certainly look...if not top or bottom round????

Will look today......

our meal...

Roast, deep fried potatoes, ,veggies. green salad, buns. gravy....me mouth is watering already!@
Old 11-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #6
Everymom

Tanis, rib roasts on sale at IGA $5.99/lb. Get standing or prime rib. I prefer standing myself.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

Standing and Prime Rib are the same thing. The only difference is that to be called Prime Rib, the meat has to be USDA certified Prime category.

Though I dearly love a great standing or prime rib, especially on the Webber grill, the most famous, priciest, and elegant beef roast is the Chateu Brione (not sure of the spelling) made from the thick end of the tenderloin. There are a ton of recipes to be found using GoogleSearch. This is the one to make if you have to really impress someone.

Of course, a perfectly cooked and flavored crown rib, either pork or lamb, will certainly wow the crowd as well. That's what my avatar is. I made that roast and it came out so incredible that I had to take pictures of it. The larger pictures look so much better than that little one under my name.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
Everymom

Hey Goodweed, I don't think USDA labels apply in Canada do they? So what would the difference be here? My understanding is that prime rib is the lower ribs and standing the higher...no? In any case, Tanis, it is the standing rib that is on sale, the prime is a buck more a lb.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

I'm just not sure of teh Canadian rating system. Sorry I can't help there.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #10
Everymom

Darn Goodweed, I was hoping you would know. Oh well, I will have to find my trivia of the day elsewhere. Thanks anyway!

Tags
None