"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Constance: It was in Philadelphia at a City-Line restaurant we used to frequent where I found this "Pittsburg" style of steak! So you maybe correct when you say Philadelphia style!

Old 07-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #32
Senior Cook

if EVOO is making too much smoke and setting-off alarms when PAN SEARING steaks, what's the best oil to use as a replacement?

the best steak i've ever had in my life was a blackened ribeye... dipped in room temperature melted real butter and sprinkled with salt, black pepper, & garlic powder.

an optional topping... we sauteed onions & a chopped portabella mushroom in a bourbon with garlic infused olive oil and about a tablespoon of butter.

it was done in a black iron skillet... we had to open ALL the windows in the kitchen and use a fan to blow the smoke out the back window.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #33
Senior Cook

It's not the fact that the oil's setting off your alarm but the lack of suction/venting of your exhaust system. Sometimes older IS better. There was a time when the exhaust for a stove was outside the house either by venting or fan suction/exhaust.

The oil, regardless if what type you use, and the meat will still set off the alarm unless you significantly reduce the heat (bad move) or sear your steak and put it in the oven. (Advisable only with no nonstick pans or pans with plastic handles.)

Ciao,
Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
It's not the fact that the oil's setting off your alarm but the lack of suction/ventinng of your exhaust system. Sometimes older IS better. There was a time when the exhaust for a stove was outside the house either by venting or fan suction/exhaust.

The oil, regardless if what type you use, and the meat will still set off the alarm unless you significantly reduce the heat (bad move) or sear your steak and put it in the oven. (Advisable only with no nonstick pans or pans with plastic handles.)

Ciao,
i've read about searing on the stove and placing in a pre-heated oven... can you explain this technique in a little more detail?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

it is basically as simple as it sounds. You just cook the steak on both sides just for a minute to two to develop a crust. As soon as you flip the steak over to the second side you slide the whole pan (oven safe pan of course) into the oven to finish cooking.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
it is basically as simple as it sounds. You just cook the steak on both sides just for a minute to two to develop a crust. As soon as you flip the steak over to the second side you slide the whole pan (oven safe pan of course) into the oven to finish cooking.
just that easy, huh? i'll have to try that method because i almost ALWAYS set-off my smoke alarm trying to sear my steak.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

I usually just turn off my smoke detector when cooking steaks inside
Old 07-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Finishing your steak in the oven is finishing the meat by roasting. This can be done with any type of meat. However, your timing is critical. Unlike grilling or cooking from the stovetop, you have no opportunity to check the status of the meat without opening the oven occasionally and feeling for doneness or inserting an electronic remote probe thermometer set to a specific temperature (usually 5-15F below you final desired temp to allow for carryover cooking. Carryover cooking duration is based on thickness and size of product being cooked).

Do you not have doors or windows you can open and create a crossdraft while cooking on your stovetop? It also seems to me that your alarm is too close to the kitchen area.

And okay, I'll admit I once set off my alarm in a condo in Virginia Beach, VA signaling to my neighbors that my blackened redfish was ready.

Ciao,
Old 07-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #39
Master Chef

If I recall, this post is about the best steak. No matter what method you use, or what seasonings, or lack thereof you prefer, it is recognized that the delmonico steak has the best ballance of tenderness and flavor. Fillet Mignon, though cut from the most tender part of the beef carcass, can be somewhat bland in flavor.The more exrecized a muscle is, the more blood flows to it. The blood caries the nutrients that feed the muscle cells, and give them flavor. That great corn-fed flavor comes from sugars and nutrients from corn that is passed into the blood and carried to the muscle cells. Fat also affects the meat flavor. A well marbled Delmonico (I believe this is the third bone-in rib steak back from the chuck) that has been properly aged, and graded USDA prime, is the premier chunk of meat on the cow.

I haven't had the opportunity to try Wagyu or Kobe beef. And I here it is the best on the planet. But even on those special cows, I would think that the cut would still be of utmost importance.

There is this place in San Diego, and in El Cajon, Ca. called "Iowa Meat Farms Outlet". They sell the best flavored meat I have eaten that is comercially available. It is prime, Iowa corn-fed beef. And it is sooooo good. At least it was when I lived in that area. I can get something close from a local butcher who takes great pride in his cattle and beef. But it's not quite as good.

What I wouldn't give for a great piece of corn-fed beef. Everything else is so bland by comparison. The last time I got my hands on really great bone-in rib steaks, I cooked them on the grill and made everyone in the house howl like a ravenous wolf before they could get a steak. They had to prove to me that they were worthy carnivores. Adults and kids alike didn't even hesitate. They howled long and loud. I can only guess what the neighbors thought. The steaks that night were legendary. 'Nuff said.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to dhampir Send a message via MSN to dhampir Send a message via Yahoo to dhampir
Smile Steak Recipes

Anyone have any Steak Recipes?
If you do please post!

Tags
None