The Perfect Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a nice thick ribeye. I coat both sides liberally with kosher salt and wrap the steak tightly in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. I let it sit for 24 hours, but sometimes I do not plan that far ahead so if it is less time that is OK, but 24ish hours is ideal. This is known as dry brining. What happens is initially the salt draws moisture out, but after some time the moisture mixes with the salt which it dissolves and then it is drawn back into the steak. This seasons your meat from the inside out.

I get my grill as hot as it can get and when I am ready to cook I oil the grates and grill on the first side for a few minutes, not touching it. When the bottom has a nice crust I flip it over and cook until med-rare. I test for doneness by pressing on the meat with my finger. After a while you can tell what the different stages of doneness feel like. It takes a little practice and some overcooked steaks, but it is a very good skill to have.

I put the steak off the heat and put on a plate while I get the table ready. This gives the meat a chance to rest for a few minutes. Then I dig in without putting anything on other than occasionally a bit of fresh ground pepper.

GB: I do what you do, with much less time in the "brine." Do you find a difference between taking out the steak--perhaps while cooking sides--and salting and seasoning it while it sits on the counter for half an hour and then grilling with your method? Does the extra time in the dry brine enhance the steak? I've never tried the "dry brine" method you've described, but have used the out-of-the-fridge, season-and-let-it-set-for-a-bit method for a long time. It's worked well for me, but if I can improve on it, I'm open! As a right now example of what I do--I have sweet potatoes and sweet corn in the oven, 'shrooms in butter on low on the stove, and a ribeye sitting on the counter for 1/2 hour with salt and seasoning awaiting the grill pan (yes, I am ready to put it in the pan now). Would I have a better steak with a dry brine?

I absolutely think that the extra time makes a gigantic difference. The salt needs time to draw the liquid out, dissolve the salt, and then be drawn back into the meat.

I actually just did this tonight. I dry brined them 2 days ago and cooked them today. The extra time (2 days instead of one) did not make a difference, but I was just not ready to cook them yesterday.

The result is the meat is seasoned all the way to the center of the steak. Try it once and I guarantee you will be convinced. Make sure to wrap it tight in plastic wrap once you salt it. This will help keep the juices where you want them.

I absolutely think that the extra time makes a gigantic difference. The salt needs time to draw the liquid out, dissolve the salt, and then be drawn back into the meat.

I actually just did this tonight. I dry brined them 2 days ago and cooked them today. The extra time (2 days instead of one) did not make a difference, but I was just not ready to cook them yesterday.

The result is the meat is seasoned all the way to the center of the steak. Try it once and I guarantee you will be convinced. Make sure to wrap it tight in plastic wrap once you salt it. This will help keep the juices where you want them.

Thanks, GB! I am going to try it--might have to be soon; one has to make sacrifices in the pursuit of knowledge! Do you use any other seasoning than salt? (Current steak resting while I post--smells great!)

I can't wait to here what you think. I only use salt and occasionally I will use some fresh ground pepper at the table.

I'll be sure to let you know--if it beats tonights steak, well, that's saying something!

<-- believes firmly in letting a piece of meat speak for itself.

I've been saving my pennies (and eating lots of chicken) in anticipation of picking up a couple of dry-aged strip steaks from the butcher up the street (literally, the only place within 30 miles of here doing dry-aging). $25 a pound ain't cheap, but I say, if you're going to eat a steak, it may as well be a memorable one.

And how will I prepare that steak?

Heh.

Finely powdered kosher salt, just a touch on each side. Hit it on the grill for two minutes each side, and let 'er rip.

Creating the best steak

What you will need is:
Bottle of lemon juice
Shaker of unflavored meat tenderizer
Your favorite cut of meat(I love steak)
30 min. to kill

Just shake on the meat tenderizer(both sides), wet with lemon juice(both sides) and stack on a tray or plate in the fridge for 30 min.(no more, no less).

After waiting, cook and season as you like.
Now, that is North Carolina Cooking!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom