This steak is too darned big!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is it that people think that Omaha Steaks are any better grade than what you can get in your average supermarket. The company doesn't even make any claim that their meat is better grade, only that it's "gourmet quality." What the heck does that mean? That sounds pretty subjective, if you ask me.

What the company has actually done is marketed the phrase "grain fed beef" so that it sounds like something that's vastly superior to other products. Well, guess what? ALL of the beef your grocer sells is grain fed, unless specifically labeled otherwise. I just don't see the point of paying $20/lb for sirloin steak.

Me... I'll take grass fed beef any day of the week.

+1
You said it so much better than I would have Steve. After trying them twice, I've concluded Omaha Steaks have a fantastic marketing ploy, and nothing more.

I love the grass fed stuff. We buy 50 lbs of it twice a year and it's pretty much the only beef we eat, unless dining out somewhere. I find that GFB has a completely different flavor and texture. Part of that comes from the fact that the animals are much older when slaughtered compared to grain fed. The meat is leaner and stronger flavored. Because it's leaner, it can also be easier to overcook.

Now getting back to the original topic of portions, below is the portion size of steak I normally eat - in fact this was tonight's dinner. This is 4 ounces of grass-fed tenderloin. DW and I usually split an 8-ounce cut. The American Heart Association actually recommends a 2-3 ounce portion, so 4 ounces is pigging out a little. Yeah, I realize it probably looks like a mere nibble compared to the 72-ounce steak mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just cut it into a lot of very small pieces and savor each morsel. :LOL:

img_1175174_0_20f84e449c037ed7deb762fc6fdd2b2b.jpg
That looks great, Steve! I too find GFB to have a better flavor. I used to buy my 1/2 steer from a friend who raised beef. She did feed grain, but only the last month before slaughter and this was in addition to being allowed to graze as much as they wished. I try to follow the "size of a deck of cards" rule re: meat. Your portion looks to be the perfect size, IMO.

Oh my gravy. Ribeye, where have you been all my life? We got a whole boneless ribeye awhile ago, at DH's urging, and I slabbed it up, and froze. Took out a couple steaks, and fried them up in the CI skillet, as it was raining (!!!yay!) so couldn't grill. Probably one of the best steaks we have ever eaten. Simply s&p, butter and olive oil. Bit of wine and onion with pan juices. Who needs fillet mignon?

My rec is if you can find boneless whole ribeye on sale, it really is worthwhile to cut it up yourself.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah! Ribeye is without a doubt my most favorite cuts of beef, and pretty much the only kind I buy for grillin'. :yum: Glad you discovered it dawgluver, and that you got some rain tonight as well!

Back
Top Bottom