This steak is too darned big!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to give one of those 72 ounce challeges a try. Ten years ago I may have had a chance, but now, no way.

That's 4-1/2 pounds! Even subtracting for bones that's got to be over 3 pounds of meat!!! ... ... ... Maybe you should ask them to leave off the mushrooms. :)

I think it would induce some kind of immediate medical problem if I ate that much meat at one meal. Even without the mushrooms.

Thanks Bill, but my maximum budget for steak is about $8. That's supermarket steak though. I might be willing to pay more for a better grade, like that Omaha place.

I've got a rib eye steak from Trader Joe's that I'll have in the next night or two, 11 oz. for $5.32. It's about 3/4 inch thick... I'd rather have a thicker smaller steak (smaller in circumference... the weight is about okay but I don't like to get them much bigger than that).

Funny thing, I just noticed that steak says "Product of USA-Mexico and Canada. That damned steak has been more places than I have! :D

Last edited:
If you can get a whole ribeye at $4.99 a lb, I would do it. Cut it up yourself. It was some of the best steak I've ever eaten, and we have a bunch that I froze.

I'd love to do it, but at present time don't have the room to freeze that much. One day I will, hopefully soon.

I'd do the same thing you did. (I think that was you.) Trim the heck out of the thing before cutting into steaks and repurpose the scraps.

I'm definitely going to try them! I've heard good things about them from other people. I really like that you can get them IQF and in precise sizes.

Anyone coinsidering ordering from Omaha Steaks, HERE is your chance. Those are the best prices I have ever seen for their products. Unfortunately my freezer is overfilled right now.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, but my maximum budget for steak is about $8. That's supermarket steak though. I might be willing to pay more for a better grade, like that Omaha place.
Why is it that people think that Omaha Steaks are any better grade than what you can get in your average supermarket. The company doesn't even make any claim that their meat is better grade, only that it's "gourmet quality." What the heck does that mean? That sounds pretty subjective, if you ask me.

What the company has actually done is marketed the phrase "grain fed beef" so that it sounds like something that's vastly superior to other products. Well, guess what? ALL of the beef your grocer sells is grain fed, unless specifically labeled otherwise. I just don't see the point of paying $20/lb for sirloin steak.

Me... I'll take grass fed beef any day of the week.

Why is it that people think that Omaha Steaks are any better grade than what you can get in your average supermarket.

I guess I've assumed that nobody would bother buying steaks online unless they were better, cheaper or both. I've had several people tell me they were satisfied customers.

I guess I've assumed that nobody would bother buying steaks online unless they were better, cheaper or both. I've had several people tell me they were satisfied customers.
I'm sure a lot of people are, or they wouldn't still be in business. But, then again, many people automatically assume that if they are paying more for something, then it must be of better quality. Here are 45 reviews, and the company only gets a score of 50/100.

Omaha Steaks Reviews – Viewpoints.com

Omaha Steaks sells convenience. Already portioned, frozen meat.

I get the same service when I go in on a beef with friends and I pay a lot less.

Why is it that people think that Omaha Steaks are any better grade than what you can get in your average supermarket. The company doesn't even make any claim that their meat is better grade, only that it's "gourmet quality." What the heck does that mean? That sounds pretty subjective, if you ask me.

What the company has actually done is marketed the phrase "grain fed beef" so that it sounds like something that's vastly superior to other products. Well, guess what? ALL of the beef your grocer sells is grain fed, unless specifically labeled otherwise. I just don't see the point of paying $20/lb for sirloin steak.

Me... I'll take grass fed beef any day of the week.

If you ever tried it, the difference between Omaha Steaks meat and grocery store meat would jump up and punch you right square in the face! For one thing, all their beef is USDA choice or better, and it is aged, while supermarket beef is neither.

Also, if you buy meat at the supermarket and you don't like it, for any reason, would they refund your money, plus transportation charges incurred to return it? Any time I've had a complaint with Omaha Steaks products, whether it was faulty in some way or just because I didn't enjoy it, they immediately refunded my money plus the portion of the shipping charges for that product(s).

Last edited:
Corn Fed cattle is not the greatest beef in the world. Corn is not a natural food for cattle. It messes up the digestive system beyond repair. The only reason the herds are sent to feed lots is because the corn puts the weight on them faster than if they were allowed to stay out on the range and eat just grass.

When the herd is brought to the feed lot, they won't touch the corn for three or four days. Then they get so hungry that they eat it. Some feed lots will feed them mixed hay with corn when they first arrive. Then they gradually reduce the hay and feed them only corn. I know the cattlemen are selling off their herds due to the corn shortage. They are losing a lot of money due to the fact that the cattle being underweight because they are headed for the feed lots earlier than normal. The cattlemen get paid by the weight of the total load minus the weight of the cattle box. But hopefully, they will allow the herds to stay out on the range and sell them the old fashion way. When they are ready and not artificially fattened.

Each pen of cattle are dated on arrival. The cattle will die from digestive problems after so many weeks of eating just corn. They are headed for the slaughter house just about a week before they will start dropping in the pen. Grain is not the normal feed for cattle. Grass is.

If you ever tried it, the difference between Omaha Steaks meat and grocery store meat would jump up and punch you right square in the face! For one thing, all their beef is USDA choice or better, and it is aged, while supermarket beef is neither.

AFAIK most supermarkets sell USDA select grade. I've seen USDA choice at a few supermarkets, Gelson's for one, probably WFM. What I recall from Gelson's is that the choice steaks cost about twice the price of the other supermarkets' select steaks.

It's funny I thought the USDA grade had to be labeled on the product but I just looked at a Trader Joe's rib eye steak and there is no grade indication at all. I've had these steaks before and they're fine but not exceptional, so I suspect they're select. Perhaps there's an understanding that meat is select if not stamped otherwise.

Corn Fed cattle is not the greatest beef in the world. Corn is not a natural food for cattle. It messes up the digestive system beyond repair. The only reason the herds are sent to feed lots is because the corn puts the weight on them faster than if they were allowed to stay out on the range and eat just grass.

It appears that corn is the bovine version of HFCS.

For one thing, all their beef is USDA choice or better, and it is aged, while supermarket beef is neither.

It's your money, spend it like you want.
According to the USDA, meat inspection is mandatory, but grading is voluntary.
As is the case with most flat statements, it is generally not that simple; regardless of what a vendor claims....many markets do carry USDA choice beef, even way out here in the sticks.

My 'go to' supermarket sells both Select and Choice grades. Each is clearly marked on individual package labels. The choice grade is a buck or two higher per pound.

Costco sells choice and prime. The prime is $5-$7 per pound more. All packages are clearly marked.

None of the prices are near what Omaha charges for its beef.

Colorado has good grass fed beef. I think it's called Ranchers Choice or something like that. Yes it's more expensive, and yes, its better.

Rocklobster said:
I have had very good, inexpensive steak, and very bad, expensive steak. Lots of times you can't be sure until you take your first bite....

So true!

Colorado has good grass fed beef. I think it's called Ranchers Choice or something like that. Yes it's more expensive, and yes, its better.
I love the grass fed stuff. We buy 50 lbs of it twice a year and it's pretty much the only beef we eat, unless dining out somewhere. I find that GFB has a completely different flavor and texture. Part of that comes from the fact that the animals are much older when slaughtered compared to grain fed. The meat is leaner and stronger flavored. Because it's leaner, it can also be easier to overcook.

Now getting back to the original topic of portions, below is the portion size of steak I normally eat - in fact this was tonight's dinner. This is 4 ounces of grass-fed tenderloin. DW and I usually split an 8-ounce cut. The American Heart Association actually recommends a 2-3 ounce portion, so 4 ounces is pigging out a little. Yeah, I realize it probably looks like a mere nibble compared to the 72-ounce steak mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just cut it into a lot of very small pieces and savor each morsel. :LOL:

img_1175155_0_20f84e449c037ed7deb762fc6fdd2b2b.jpg

Steve Kroll said:
I love the grass fed stuff. We buy 50 lbs of it twice a year and it's pretty much the only beef we eat, unless dining out somewhere. I find that GFB has a completely different flavor and texture. Part of that comes from the fact that the animals are much older when slaughtered compared to grain fed. The meat is leaner and stronger flavored. Because it's leaner, it can also be easier to overcook.

Now getting back to the original topic of portions, below is the portion size of steak I normally eat - in fact this was tonight's dinner. This is 4 ounces of grass-fed tenderloin. DW and I usually split an 8-ounce cut. The American Heart Association actually recommends a 2-3 ounce portion, so 4 ounces is pigging out a little. Yeah, I realize it probably looks like a mere nibble compared to the 72-ounce steak mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just cut it into a lot of very small pieces and savor each morsel. :LOL:

Yummy! That veggie mix looks great!! Is that feta?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom