"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
Hmm, maybe. I just like the idea that I can set it up before I go to work and schedule the cook for any time. Then if maybe I am running late or coming home early I can just log in to the device with the app on my phone and start the cook or delay it if I have to.

I also like the reminders. "Your steak is done!" and so on.

It's like a crockpot on steroids and with a brain. So cool.
Sounds a little risky to me.

Do I Need A Sous Vide Machine With WiFi? - Amazing Food Made Easy
Quote:
Most safety recommendations suggest food shouldn't be in the danger zone [40-140] for more than 2 to 4 hours all together. Since the majority of sous vide machines take between 45 and 60 minutes to heat from 40F (4.4C) to at least 130F you don't have too much leeway, especially once you factor in the time the food was in the danger zone during shopping.

Consequently, it's important that the water bath be at a temperature lower than 40F (4.4C) when the food is placed in it. Moreover, it's critical that the sous vide machine begins cooking once the water temperature warms up to 40F (4.4C) at the latest. The best way to do this with a traditional sous vide machine is to put "enough" ice in the water bath to maintain the low temperature until the desired starting time.

Ice
You might wonder, "Just how much is 'enough' ice?" I am in the process of doing some experimentation to determine that and it will be included in a future post. However, my initial testing would indicate that you need a 50% ice to 50% water ratio in order to maintain the temperature under 40F (4.4C) for around 6-8 hours.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
Master Chef

^^^ Now, that's a lot of fussing around with temps and all that just to cook a piece of steak...

Old 09-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

My thought as well, roadfix.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #24
Cook

The Anova in particular will automatically start cooking your food if it detects that the temperature is getting too close to the danger zone. All you need to do is dump more than enough ice into the bath to keep it cool while you are away.

I'll have to check out how long it takes to heat up.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The Anova in particular will automatically start cooking your food if it detects that the temperature is getting too close to the danger zone. All you need to do is dump more than enough ice into the bath to keep it cool while you are away.

I'll have to check out how long it takes to heat up.
It really seems like it's way more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ Now, that's a lot of fussing around with temps and all that just to cook a piece of steak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My thought as well, roadfix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It really seems like it's way more trouble than it's worth.
Amen to that. Got a bone in ribeye and a bone in NY strip that I'll be doing the old fashioned way this evening. As I see it, if it ain't broke, I don't need to fix it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #27
Cook

Wait wait...Have you ever had anything prepared Sous Vide GotGarlic and RPCookin?

I don't want to assume anything here.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wait wait...Have you ever had anything prepared Sous Vide GotGarlic and RPCookin?

Not that I'm aware of, but I understand some restaurants use that technique, so it's possible. I've seen rapturous descriptions of the results of sous vide cooking, but I'm not one of those people who has to produce the ultimate X in my own kitchen. Given the price of the machine and the time investment required, imo, it's not worth it.

Your mileage may vary, of course
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:

I'm with GG. It's not worth the cost and hassle and time. I can grill a steak to my medium rare liking in about 8 minutes, with no need for 2 more appliances which I don't have room for anyway.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #30
Master Chef

Same here - I don't have room to store any extra equipment (or the patience for sous vide), although I've heard great things about it, too.

For me, I'd rather stick with what I've been doing for 30 years and throw a nice rib eye on the grill, sear it, plate it at rare to med rare, let it rest a few, and chow down. From grill to plate in 10 minutes or so, depending on the thickness.

haha Rick....we were posting at the same time. :-)

Tags
other, steak, tips