TNT Tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
[FONT=&quot]1 3# chuck roast
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
1/2 onion
2 cloves Minced garlic
Kosher salt
Course Pepper

Add all ingredients to a crock pot or dutch oven, cover with water. Cook roast until it shreds apart.

I do it in the crock pot for several hours. On the stove top it takes about an hour and a half depending on your pot.

Shred beef. Place in fry pan with some canola oil and fry until brown, add a can of Enchilada sauce. Stir and coat liberally.

For outside. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups masa harina (fine corn flour) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons salt[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3 to 4 cups water [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Take on bag of corn husks, soak husks in water for 30 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mix masa, water, butter and salt into a thick paste. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apply 5 tablespoons of the masa mix into the center of the corn husk. Push mix to 1-inch of the side of the husk. Add 2 tablespoons of the meat to center, fold 1 edge of the husk to the center, and then fold the other side to cover entire tamale. Fold ends over by 2-inches. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place a colander in large pot of boiling water, but do not let the colander touch the water. Place the tamales in the colander, cover and allow steam to rise to the top. Steam the tamales for 30 to 40 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve with cilantro sour cream. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cilantro Sour Cream:
1 container sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lime, juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Your tamale filling sounds wonderful! I'm wondering, though, if your masa recipe has enough fat to hold together well...I've been learning to make tamales and use the following proportions:

7 cups chicken, meat or vegetable stock
2 cups lard, butter, margarine, shortening, olive or corn oil, or any combination of these
1-2 tablespoons salt (how much depends on how salty your stock is)
12 cups dry masa harina flour

This obviously makes ALOT of tamales, but since they are so much work, why not make a bunch? They freeze really wonderfully. I've been told to beat the masa for at least 15 minutes...it should be about the consistency of peanut butter. And I soak the husks for about two hours. I use strips of husk to tie the tamales together and steam them for about 2-3 hours. Last time I made them, I bought fresh masa, added lard and butter and chicken stock. I used a pork verde filling, as well as one with poblano chiles, corn and cheese. Oh, they were so good. We had them for Thanksgiving. Tamales are a very important part of the holiday celebration here in Mexico - the very best ones have a thin layer of masa.

Here is a good link for making all kinds of tamales:RECIPE FOR COOKING Masa Harina Masa for Tamales

Thanks for including a tamale recipe - and have a peaceful, joyful, delicious Christmas!

[FONT=&quot]1 3# chuck roast[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 14 oz can of tomatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cloves Minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kosher salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Course Pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add all ingredients to a crock pot or dutch oven, cover with water. Cook roast until it shreds apart. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do it in the crock pot for several hours. On the stove top it takes about an hour and a half depending on your pot. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shred beef. Place in fry pan with some canola oil and fry until brown, add a can of Enchilada sauce. Stir and coat liberally.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For outside. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups masa harina (fine corn flour) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons melted butter [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 to 4 cups water [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Take on bag of corn husks, soak husks in water for 30 minutes. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mix masa, water, butter and salt into a thick paste. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Apply 5 tablespoons of the masa mix into the center of the corn husk. Push mix to 1-inch of the side of the husk. Add 2 tablespoons of the meat to center, fold 1 edge of the husk to the center, and then fold the other side to cover entire tamale. Fold ends over by 2-inches. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place a colander in large pot of boiling water, but do not let the colander touch the water. Place the tamales in the colander, cover and allow steam to rise to the top. Steam the tamales for 30 to 40 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve with cilantro sour cream. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cilantro Sour Cream: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 container sour cream [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 garlic clove, minced [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lime, juiced [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
okay, so I got a better idea than you just posting this here. GET OVER TO MY HOUSE AND MAKE THESE FOR ME, NOW:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
yummy..................sounds ultra yummy:mrgreen:

All that matters is that they taste good - right? Sounds like the recipe works for you. Maybe I am just making it too difficult for myself - I have a tendency to do that. I am definitely going to make your sauce - we don't have actual sour cream here, but "crema" is widely available in many shapes and sizes. Just pure spoonable cream. And it is SO good. It would be good on tacos and enchiladas and tostados and......yum.

Thanks for the recipes & filling ideas. When we're in Isla Mujeres, we never make tamales. A older lady comes by every week with homemade tamales that are spicy chicken & black beans. And around the holidays, our local friends make us tamales. My absolute favorite is with the hard boiled egg, pepito & chaya, I can't remember the name for them. When we are back in the States, my husband makes tamales because we crave them. This summer when we're in NY I am going to test out the recipes above. Thanks again & enjoy your holidays!

All that matters is that they taste good - right? Sounds like the recipe works for you. Maybe I am just making it too difficult for myself - I have a tendency to do that. I am definitely going to make your sauce - we don't have actual sour cream here, but "crema" is widely available in many shapes and sizes. Just pure spoonable cream. And it is SO good. It would be good on tacos and enchiladas and tostados and......yum.
Actually I've learned since I've done this twice is all that matter is your remember the salt in the masa. I had to take them all apart and do them again, but it's okay, the second batch is awesome!!

Your recipe is probably really traditional. I admit, mine is more of an Americanize recipe from the SIL's meat recipe (modified) and a basic tamale coating (what do you call the masa part). I did add just a little smidge extra of margarine since I was out of butter and they are better. My butter was no salt and I had forgotten the salt. It definitely needs salt.

I love the dressing. Cilantro and lime are my favorite. I think Crema would work. The lime would have a "souring" effect. I know a substitution for sour cream sometimes is to add lemon to cream or milk. You'll enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom