"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef
And about the only place I see barding used nowadays is wrapping a piece of bacon around a tenderloin filet to make a filet mignon.

Salt pork will work. In fact, that's what is classically used to lard meat with.

I wouldn't use turkey bacon, IMHO. That stuff just doesn't have the fat content to do what larding and barding is intended to do.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Larding Needles Available

Larding Needles are available from Lehman's, an Amish Company in Kidron Ohio. They cost $12.95 and allow you to inject the lard (soft lard) into the meat. The needles are made in Spain and made of stainless steel and have a wooden handle; they are 13" long which allows you to do large pieces of meat. The company website is at www.Lehmsns.com Besides larding needles they have other hard to find cooking tools and most of their products are made in the USA.

Another way to bard is to stack pork belly on the top rack of your pit and allow it to flavor your pork butts; the end result is some mighty fine eating.

BigDaddy'sBBQ is a proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Another fat you can use is "Caul Fat". This is the fatty connective tissue that helps to hold the intestines in place. It looks like a lace doilie. Supposedly gives a nice crisp texture on the exterior as well as keeps the meat in the middle moist.

There's another technique, called "Larding", where you take julienne strips of fatback, clamp them into special needle, and stick the needle through the meat, pulling it out the other side, and clipping the fat off so the fat remains inside the meat. It's a good substitute for marbling. Don't ask me where to get "Larding Needles". I've only seen them once, in college, and never in my professional career have I heard of it since.

BigDaddy'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Half Baked
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Oh, the Two Fat Ladies.....I sure do miss them!

They have been resurected on the "Cooking" channel.
So has the original Julia Child show and Some other classics.
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Master Chef
When we first moved here we went to a company near here called "Whistling Wings" that raises and sells wild birds. First of all, in the process of moving, I'd quite literally forgotten Thanksgiving. I mentioned one Tuesday morning that Thanksgiving was a week from Thursday and hubby replied, no, THIS Thursday. Since it would only be the two of us (we didn't know that many people yet)(unheard of in my family; there is never just the immediate family at the table), we decided to experiment with a wild turkey. Not knowing better, I just prepared it the way I would my usual domestic bird. Learned very quickly why the birds were domesticated to begin with. Tough, stringy. Over the next two years I tried their entire repitoire of birds, finally learning to cover the entire bird with strips of bacon before roasting, and that braising would work better, that the leftover meat and carcas made into stock, then added to the meat that is leftover, makes a super-great soup, stew, and particularly good casoulet. But if you are going to dry-roast and don't have the equipment and products mentioned, simply cover with strips of bacon if you're going to dry-roast.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote