To cover or not to cover Dutch oven with roast in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I am making something like a Boeuf Bourguignon, sort of. It is in the oven for approximately 3-4 hours total, do I cover it or leave it uncovered? My cooking vessel is a cast iron Dutch oven. Cooking at 300 degrees F.

I'm thinking cover it for a least a while. Three to four hours is a long time to let meat go neglected without a generous portion of juice.

Thanks guys! I had it covered and then well, started doubting myself. Mud - it is complete submerged in a combination of Burgundy and beef broth - not a chance of drying out! lol And I've got all the aromatics in there too. Again, thanks.

definatly keep it covered.for the whole of the cooking,otherwise your meat will dry and your sauce will skin.if you need to reduce the sauce more than it has already,just bang it on the hob.....well dont literally bang it but you know what i mean.

Andy M. said:
You're basically making a pot roast

15.gif

That's what I hate about taking all this time in the marinating, the caramelizing of pearl onions and quartered mushrooms and all the money in the wine, broth, fresh herbs - in the end you got nuthin' more than a POT ROAST! Please say it with a French accent Andy M. - it will make me feel much better! :LOL:

Thanks tomchef - I will "bang it on the hob" to get some kind of gravy! (across the pond I presume? :) )

excuse me,remove your beef and place it onto the hob with the lid off to reduce your sauce,if you need to!!! not gravy,beef bourgignon is a classic french dish........it is not a pot roast.i know chefs (french)that would beat the **** out of you if you refered to their boeuf as a pot roast.mind you im a lot more relaxed than those nut jobs. its a classic dish all the same so play nice.

lol - I will remove meat and reduce - keeping it classic I'm sure - I do not want the French after me!!!!!! Playing nice nice, I promise!

kitchenelf said:
...in the end you got nuthin' more than a POT ROAST! Please say it with a French accent Andy M. - it will make me feel much better!...

Ahhh, madame! But you have ze excellent French classic dish that is so much more than ze pot roast. Ve make it vit ze great French
Burgundy. And then ve cook it slowly to make it superior. And finally, et viola! You have ze Boeuf Bourguignon! C'est magnifique!

Andy M. said:
Ahhh, madame! But you have ze excellent French classic dish that is so much more than ze pot roast. Ve make it vit ze great French
Burgundy. And then ve cook it slowly to make it superior. And finally, et viola! You have ze Boeuf Bourguignon! C'est magnifique!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chef:

Well, I didn't have to reduce it as it had TREMENDOUS flavor - I can imagine that it will be even better tomorrow. The one and only time before this that I made boeuf bourguignon I did not marinate in Burgundy overnight - I don't think the recipe called for it. This was FAR superior and the Burgundy shined!!!!

...thanks for doin' that French thing - just made my dinner taste better!

KE: No doubt it will be better tomorrow. My recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon says to marinate it in the wine for at least four hours, and preferably overnight... and lastr week when I made Coq au Vin (the exact same recipe but made with chicken so cooked about an hour less) I marinated the chicken longer than I had ever doen before (tho NOT overnight) and it turned out better than I'd ever done it before...

I LOVE "winter food!" :D

Maybe I did marinated my last time but not overnight - I have to say it was really yummy! Do you marinate your chicken (for Coq au vin) the same way as Boeuf Bourguignon....i.e., wine, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, etc.?

I was just reading a recipe and it uses brandy in the Boeuf Bourguignon marinade! YUMMMMMYYY is all I have to say - I will make a note of that for the next time!

One thing I forgot tonight was to add some tomato paste - I will do that tomorrow when I re-heat it - oops And I also didn't have any bacon - the French can't really get me because I said I was making something LIKE Boeuf Bourguignon!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom