"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Top round roast help

Hello all -- newcomer here. I bought a couple of top round roasts because they were buy one get one free at my local grocery store. I've always enjoyed cooking but have rarely cooked beef. I know I want to either braise it on the stovetop or slow-cook it in the crockpot, and I'm hoping someone here has a favorite method for this roast. I like the nice crust you get with a pot-roast, but I want to be sure the roast is tender. Also, would a dry rub a few hours before roasting give better flavor than just including the spices in the braising liquid? I'll be using salt, pepper, allspice, rosemary, and mustard, and braising in red wine and water. Any suggestions for other seasonings or methods?

Old 01-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome aboard.

To me a round needs braising, whether in a regular pot or a crockpot, as you said.

You might want to consider a sauerbraten, something we have not made this year and I have no idea why.

It is a delightful dish and just Google for recipes.

Oh yes, and if you would like serve with potato pancakes and red cabbage.

Have made red cabbage but find the jarred just fine.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Sauerbraten! I think I'll do that with one of the roasts. My local bakery makes sauerbraten, served with the red cabbage and dumplings, that I indulge in now and again. If only I had faith in my dumpling-making abilities! My 3 attempts so far have been dismal failures, but if I read up on them instead of just following a recipe I should be able to manage something neither leaden nor gummy.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
You can't go wrong when doing a beef roast in the crock pot. Some "cream-of-soup" or some Lipton soup mix on top - not much more to it!

If you like spicy, try using some garlic (4 cloves) & a 16-oz jar of pepperoncini to the crock pot along with the roast.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i like the sauerbraten idea. or you could be creative. make a rub of a bunch of dried herbs and spices, roll and press into the roast, brown well on all sides in oil, then add wine (barolo is my fave) and a little stock or water and braise for an hour or 2. then add a few stalks of celery, baby carrots, and halved onions, and simmer for another hour or so, until everything is tender. set roast aside, and make a gravy out of the remaining liquid. i like to blend the carrots and celery into the gravy, and serve the onions along with the roast. oh, and you gotta have mashed potatoes with steamed early peas as the sides.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
You can't go wrong when doing a beef roast in the crock pot. Some "cream-of-soup" or some Lipton soup mix on top - not much more to it!
I use both, Corinne...makes a great gravy.

I don't think anything beats a pot roast (braised) though.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I think all your stuff is fine, charmed, but go with braising as the others have said.

And coat that puppy with some flour first and brown real good before you add the juice and veggies.

Tags
None