Tough London Broil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It comes from a muscle that does a lot of work for the steer so can be tough. /The best you can do is cook it properly and slice it across the grain.

Marinating also helps a lot. I always marinate London Broil for at least several hours if not overnight & have never had a problem with toughness.

I gave up on London Broil. I now prefer a flat iron steak. I know that didn't answer your question - just thought I'd throw in another option for you. Again, not cooked over medium/medium rare.

Flat iron steak is not sold around here. We get shoulder steak for London broil. I marinate it overnight if I can. Cooked to med. rare and sliced, it's not bad at all.

Flat iron steak is VERY tender! What about....mmmm....what is that name....dang...I'll have to think about it for a bit. Not London Broil, but...oh, skirt steak? Not quite as tender as flat iron. Can you get skirt?

Last edited:
Skirt steaks are great if marinated and cooked quick and hot. Flanks are great and London broils should be thrown in the garbage before wasting any energy cooking them.

London broil meat makes great jerky!
Whenever it goes on sale for 50% off, I stock up.

Before I marinate my flank steak, I perforate it with my handy skewer...
many times. It doesn't "let the juices run out" when cooking it, either.
Let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting, and be sure to cut across the grain,
on an angle. Thin is tender!

marinating is a good way to go, but imo the secret is slicing, very thin, across the grain as andy had mentioned.

that doesn't always mean slicing from the shorter end of a "rectangular" cut of meat. sometimes, you have to slice the long side to get the grain right.

in that case, i hack it in half for more manageable pieces.

Back
Top Bottom