Tough pot roast leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dark helmet

Assistant Cook
I cooked a chuck roast with a new recipe that I found and it didn't quite work out. The meat was left dry and tough. Is there anything I can do to make it better when I reheat it?

Can you post the recipe that you used? Usually, chuck roast is very tender if cooked properly. But I have on occasion had the same results. Either it was way over cooked which is really hard to do... (but I have done it) or under cooked.

Grind it up with hard boiled eggs for meat spread. Mix with mayo or Miracle whip, a little mustard, horseradish, and a good amount of sweet pickle relish. Don't be stingy with the Miracle whip and the relish.
Spread on bread of your choice, toasted or not.

It basically said to cover the roast with a tomato sauce and red wine reduction and cook for 3 1/2 hours on 200. I think that my problem there lies in the fact that there was not enough liquid to properly moisten the roast.

Grind it up with hard boiled eggs for meat spread. Mix with mayo or Miracle whip, a little mustard, horseradish, and a good amount of sweet pickle relish. Don't be stingy with the Miracle whip and the relish.
Spread on bread of your choice, toasted or not.

That's funny, because my first thought was to grind it up.

It is hard to say... I have never made a roast like that. But Miss Constance has a good recipe there for you for the leftovers. I say make the best of it!

Welcome to DC!!!

My mom always made roast beef hash. Shred your meat and boil it in water or broth with potatoes, celery, and tons of sage until the potatoes are done. Easy peasy!

put the meat in a crock pot with a can or 2 of beef broth on low all day.
had the same problem attempting to smoke some beef on the grill this summer.
it ended up like jerky but the crockpot saved it.

200 F is too low a temperatrue for a pot roast. I cook mine in a 350 F oven. The 200 F was probably the internal temperature of the meat, not the oven temperature.

If that's the case, the meat was not cooked to a high enough temperature to tenderize it.

200 F is too low a temperatrue for a pot roast. I cook mine in a 350 F oven. The 200 F was probably the internal temperature of the meat, not the oven temperature.

If that's the case, the meat was not cooked to a high enough temperature to tenderize it.

200 is also not particularly safe, either. 250 is rhe lowest you should go.

I cook pot roast at 300-325.

If it's tough, it's not cooked long enough.

you want something quick and easy and works great with tough pot roast.....that's all my aunt could afford with two sets of twins..........she'd slice it up into small chunks and then add her favorite barbeque sauce to just cover it with a bit extra (just stir periodically so it doesn't burn...........I add just a small amount of sauteed chopped onions at the beginning though she never did and you just cook it for about 30-45 minutes dep. on how tough it is.....you might want to cut it with a bit of water.......then serve it over a soft bun.......serve with corn on the cob, a veggie to be healthy and/or some cut up fruit......... a few.chips or fries will make the kids happy

My mom always made roast beef hash. Shred your meat and boil it in water or broth with potatoes, celery, and tons of sage until the potatoes are done. Easy peasy!

My beef hash is a little different. Grind up the beef, mix with small-diced boiled potatoes, small-diced raw onion. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat up a little butter/oil mixture in a frying pan. Put the hash in the hot pan and let it slowly brown and form a crust on the bottom. Flip it over and let the top brown in the same way.

Serve with poached or fried eggs on top, and some sort of toast on the side. Have ketchup handy.

Oh, man - I want some!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom