Tri tip roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candygirl40

Assistant Cook
does anyone know what temp I am suppose to set the roaster at, to make tri tip roast? lost my manual.

The only way I've ever had tri-tips was barbecued (what is called grilled now). Where I live no one has ever heard of tri-tip, and my husband thinks it is a weird anomaly from my military childhood days living at Vandenberg AFB.

That said, I'd marinade it in something teriaki style; a soy based marinade with some garlic, chili paste, sugar of some sort (I've been known to use anything from sugar to honey to jams, jellies and preserves given to me). You need something acidic, it can be vinegar or citrus juices. You're doing it as a roast, I've only done it as steaks. They can be tough, so I really recommend slicing into thick steaks and marinading them. Then grill to rare. If you need to have your meat well done, then ignore the above, and braise and make chili.

Babetoo, I cracked up. About a dozen years ago, on a road trip, I revisited the Vandenberg AFB area where I went to high school. People kept talking about Santa Maria BBQ. I finally asked, what in the aitch-ee-double-hockey-sticks are you talking about? "Oh, tri-trips and pinquito beans." I cracked up, it was something we had often, maybe monthly, when we lived in the area! Hubby and i had it many times when we were on the road in that area, renewing old family & acquaintances. I've often been told what cut the tri-tips are, but around here it isn't called that (I still don't remember, a part of the sirloin, I think?). But my soy sauce-based marinade was a big hit with all of my California buddies. I still maintain that if you won't eat it rare, then braise or stew it because it gets really tough!

Tri tips are $1.99/lb this week at Ralphs.

I like to do them on the Weber over charcoal or red oak. I did them over charcoal the last time, indirect over low heat until desired internal temp, then seared them direct at the end. Foiled for about 10 minuted before carving.
I cooked one roast to medium doneness and the other well for some who like their's well done.
Make sure you cut the meat against the grain. Tri tips have grains running in a weird way.

Attachments

• P1050367.jpg
    P1050367.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 228
  • P1050369.jpg
    P1050369.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 212
i have not seen tri-tips in eastern MA. With all the positive comments about this cut, I have asked and been told, "We don't get that cut here.".

After seeing the picture, I realized that was what I got marked Rib Eye Roast. No wonder it was so tough, and I mean really tough. The grain was like thick noodles stuck together.

I was, however able to save it by braising low and slow for a couple of hours. After that it was shreddable.

Back
Top Bottom